Monday, January 08, 2007

And Still no Snow in Toronto

If you haven't seen An Inconvenient Truth, you should. If you haven't seen The End of Suburbia, you should. Just don't watch them back-to-back; that would be far too depressing.

I recommend Al Gore's film just based on the fact that it demonstrates the most outstanding use of PowerPoint I have ever seen. Too many people make such atrocious use of PowerPoint, it should be - in the hands of these people - renamed RedundantPoint or BoringPoint. Al does it correctly.

You know what I am talking about: someone at a conference or a presentation projects slides full of text. You read each in a few seconds, and then you have to wait for them to read it. Boring, boring, boring.

Anyway, while the cycling guy in me is loving this winter, I am feeling really sad for the polar bears. A huge chunk of Ellesmere Island just broke off. It is 3 degrees in Toronto, heading up to 5 degrees later today. And, there is not a flake of snow in sight.

I really hope this winter will convince those jokers (notably Stephen Harper and George Bush) to do something, like ratify the Kyoto Accord. That would be a nice thing to do before part of Manhattan is flooded.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

11 comments:

running42k said...

I see some people are trying to say that El Nino is the problem. Perhaps but explain all the other years in this decade that it has been much warmer then usual.

zydeco fish said...

Good point.

Anonymous said...

I saw Inconvenient Truth. Now that the global warming issue has Al Gore's stamp on it, how will anyone ever convince Bush to get on board? And I agree with you about the PowerPoint. Al was able to stave off those sleep-inducing rays normally generated by data projectors.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about the harm done to the environment, but the part of me that loathes winter is very glad I haven't had to shovel snow yet.

We had some today, but only enough to dust things, not enough to stay. That wind, though, wouldn't want to be on a bike today.

zydeco fish said...

Jen: well, Bush will be history soon, so that is some good news.

K: I didn't noice the wind this morning. Maybe it's windy where you live & not here.

mister anchovy said...

I believe that 90% of people who use PowerPoint are really misguided about it. They will prepare a slide deck and call it "my presentation", when in fact they should be thinking of it as support material for my presentation. When somebody reads text to me that I could read perfectly well myself and doesn't even have anything to add, it drives me just a little mad.

Maven said...

No no no, in paragraph one, wanna know what would be really depressing? The trifecta of movie watching, the two movies you listed PLUS! "The Day After Tomorrow."

PS: Hubby gave me a gift cert for Amazon, and An Inconvenient Truth is on its way to me. I can't wait to watch it and become more environmentally enraged than I am currently.

GOOD TIMES!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not complaining about our lack of snow. I'm definitely not a snow bunny! I walk a lot and this is great weather for doing that.

Liz said...

Everybody should see An Inconvenient Truth immediately.

Some asshole on a local station this morning made a smartmouth remark about Al Gore, the guy who invented the internet probably blaming global warming for the weather.

You could take the truth and hit most people over the head with it and they would still prefer ignorance.

Liz said...

Now that I think about what I just wrote, I guess I would prefer ignorance to being hit over the head. I guess that's why the truth is inconvenient.

zydeco fish said...

Ha. I'd rather not be hit over the head either.