Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Cycling Rant

As cyclists normally do, I was cycling in the curb lane, next to the curb. Cyclists do this because:

1) It is safer than cycling down the middle of a lane.
2) It is safer than cycling in the centre lane.
3) We normally travel slower than cars.
4) Bike lanes are constructed next to the curb.
5) The rules of the road for cyclists dictate that we ride at the curb. In fact, cars are required to give a cyclist the whole lane, if necessary.

We pass cars and trucks on the right hand side because the roads are wide enough - in most cases - to accommodate that. Usually, we pass cars on the right when vehicles have queued up for a traffic light (but sometimes, we are faster than vehicles).

This morning, as I approached a traffic light, I noticed several cars waiting. As is the practice of most cyclists, I planned to cycle past the waiting cars when the rear door of a cab flew open, and some guy started to step out.

I said: "Whoooa!"

He said: "That's why you're not supposed to pass cars on the right!"

I said: "That's why you're supposed to look for cyclists!"

I neglected to tell him that many cabs do, in fact, have window stickers reminding passengers to check for bikes.

He went on, quite forcibly: "You are not supposed to pass cars on the right because it is illegal!"

I said: "That's where cyclists ride. We ride at the curb." I went on about how it looked as though the cab was waiting for the traffic signal. I told him that there was a car directly in front of the cab, also waiting for the light.

But, more importantly:

1) The cab did not pull over (had it done so, I would have passed on the left).
2) The cab driver did not signal (had he done so, I would have passed on the left).

So, dude with the grey beard threw a few more sentences my way, and I left, but not before I told him that I was not angry with him. I wanted to add that I was angry with the driver for failing to signal or pull over. But, even having thought that, it was obvious that the cab driver knew I was there because he did not pull over: he left me room to get by, and Mr. Grey Beard failed to check for bicycles. He blew up because he was embarrassed.

And now, I must do some work.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

running42k said...

Occupational hazard for us cyclists. At least no harm befell you.

Anonymous said...

Whew... that could have been nasty!! People need to look for bikes. It's that simple.

Glad you're OK!

Anonymous said...

I wish I lived in a place that had enough cyclists to put those stickers in cabs. Or to have lots of cabs. We do have cyclists, although they tend towards the purely recreational, however serious they may be about it. I think that cars here aim for the bikes.

Glad you're okay.

JoeBlogs said...

Hi, I like your site. I write a comedy blog, I wondered if you wanted to take part in an interview to highlight your site. My blog is http://mrjoeblogs.blogspot.com. The questions are as follows :

Name :
Age :
Location :
Vocation :
Philosophy :

Sum up what your blog is about.
Why are you doing your blog?
What’s the funniest entry on your blog?
What is your writing style?
What do people commonly say about your site?
What would you be doing if you weren’t doing your blog?
Why should someone visit your site?
What did you learn from your first love?
Are there any blogs, you enjoy reading?
If you could invite anyone to a dinner party who would it be and why?
What one website would you recommend and why?
Tell us a random funny story that comes to mind.
What advice would you have given yourself 5 years ago?
Any interesting travel stories?
What’s the most incredible thing that ever happened to you.
Now it’s your turn! Ask me one question, anything you like.
Your site address :

Kind Regards
Joe Blogs

(please include any picture at all that you want to add to the interview)