Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Fallen Comrade

The colleague deemed most likely to go postal, has left the building, but not without first unleashing a venomous 3500 word email in which he criticized the administration, his bosses, and some colleagues. D - a colleague - later informed me that this type of letter is known as a Fallen Comrade Letter. Feeling that they are unjustly terminated, these disgruntled employees attack everyone and everything, trying to put the blame somewhere else, rather than looking closely and objectively at the situation. The military image even holds up in his letter, when he writes: "...I concede defeat and so leave the field of battle."

The most irritating thing is that he argued that his employment came to an end because he is gay, an assertion that is absolute nonsense. At the time he worked here, 50% of the male librarians were gay. The actual number may be either 45% or 55%, but I have excluded one fellow, whose sexuality is so ambiguous, he might well be a castrato, but that is another story.

The librarian profession is so filled with gayness (and there is nothing wrong with that), people assume that I am gay. Those who know otherwise, naturally assume that I must be bi-sexual. I am not sure if this is because of some sort of latent metrosexuality or an assumption that only gay men work in this profession, once described as the pink collar ghetto. I am not sure, but this comrade's arguments are completely without merit.

To him, I say: Good night and good luck.

Currently listening to: 1-Speed Bike - Droopy Butt Begone. It's very cool.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been too long since I've left a comment here! I had no idea how many gay men were librarians, or how many librarians, are gay, but now that you mention it, our former organist/choir master is a gay librarian at SMU.

(It sounds like an old musical doesn't it? The Gay Librarian)

zydeco fish said...

It does sound like a musical. Maybe I should write it.

Anonymous said...

I've never thought of male librarians as gay. Then again, I've never speculated as to the sexual orientation of any librarian I've been in contact with. Perhaps I should be more aware and speculative.

zydeco fish said...

There are probably more important things requiring your speculation than the sexual orientation of librarians.

Anonymous said...

My first job in high school was working in a library. I worked there for 2 1/2 years. All the adults who worked there were middle aged women. I never considered it a homosexual profession (if there is such a thing). If I had to classify it, I would call it a grandmotherly profession! (that's got to make you feel good :p)

zydeco fish said...

Toryssa: I agree, a pissed off letter might be fun and somewhat cathartic.

zydeco fish said...

3carnations: gee, thanks :-)

Anonymous said...

pink collar ghetto??

HOT.

zydeco fish said...

Hot indeed!