Wednesday, January 10, 2007

How to Fix Basketball

I'm not suggesting that basketball is really broken, but simply that it could be improved. I don't even watch basketball, or football, or sports of any kind - except the Olympics - although I used to. I'd watch hockey and baseball and football. But who has time to sit for three or four hours in front of the TV watching guys slap each other on the ass? I did watch parts of the World Cup, however, which included Bloody Marys and snacks and too many people in a small room.

Years ago, I was listening to Finkleman's 45s. I can't take any credit for finding this radio program or for even being a fan. K listened to it, and I was listening along one evening. Usually, Danny had a lot to say about coffee, and whether it was good for you or not. Every week, a new coffee study was released, and he gave us the good or bad news. The show could have been called the Coffee Show. Of course, I drank coffee back then, lots of coffee with lots of caffeine, unlike now. I drink decaf every now and then. I know it's probably uncool, but do I look like I care?

One day, after a survey of the recent coffee news, Danny offered three options for improving basketball. He said, and I paraphrase:

1) Start each team at 100 points, and let them play for 10 minutes;
2) Raise the height of the baskets to something like 15 feet, from the current 10 feet;
3) Enforce an average height limit on each team. This means that you could have a very tall player, but it would have to be balanced out by some shorter guys, the kind you might see in a circus or sideshow.

I have another idea:

Reduce the points awarded for slam dunks from 2 to 1. Let's not forget that James Naismith, the Canadian doctor who invented the sport, argued that the baskets ought to be high enough to prevent a player from simply pushing the ball through from above. Well, that idea failed badly.

The slam dunk just seems too easy, especially if one is tall enough. Throwing the ball requires more skill. After all, they award free throws, not free dunks, because throwing the ball in the basket is obviously harder than stuffing it in from above. By the way, when I was in high school I could touch the rim!

So, in summary, I would like the NBA to award 1 point from slam dunks (and maybe even for lay ups), 2 points for a basket, and 3 points for shots beyond the arch. Maybe they could even award 4 points for shots taken past half court.

The sad truth is, I still would not watch the game.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, just two days ago I mentioned to a friend that I really missed Finkleman's 45s. Frighteningly, I find myself channelling Danny on a regular basis. Particularly after one of those coffee studies.

I don't know how you remember all that stuff. I'd forgotten his theory about basketball until you recalled it...

running42k said...

We'll still keep the cheerleaders, right?

zydeco fish said...

K, I'd hate to say that I have a good memory, because the sad truth is that I have a terrible memory. It's just one of those things that stuck in my head.

zydeco fish said...

R42K: Yes, of course.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating rework of basketball. Hey, I have an idea. How about we get rid of the large orange ball too and replace it with a tennis ball?

zydeco fish said...

Hemlock: Frankly, my idea is better :-)

Anonymous said...

Ah. As in, one of those things, when you're 85 and senile, will be a fond memory, whilst everything else will slip through the cracks.

You know, I much prefer Typepad, but I will confess that Blogger's word verification thingee is much easier to read. I have to enter everything twice on Typepad because I can't see what the damn "word" is.