Thursday, January 04, 2007

My Pants are Falling Down

I am now boycotting Gap & Old Navy denim (I should have done this ages ago when I heard about The Gap and slave labour). I remember, back in the day when I was concerned about the appearance of my ass, always worrying about whether the denim I was about to purchase would shrink, and by how much. These were key issues in my younger days. After purchasing jeans from The Gap & Old Navy, I find myself wondering just how much they will stretch.

A few days after I had first purchased this inferior denim, I thought I had suddenly dropped ten pounds. They hung down around my ass like those hip hop guys, exposing the waistband of my underwear. I kept pulling them up, worrying that they would fall off while I was standing in front of a class of undergrads discussing searching techniques. Then, I put on another pair of my pants, and they fit fine. It was like I was in that episode of M*A*S*H*. You know the one.

The next time I bought jeans from The Gap, the same thing happened. I tried them on; they fit; then, they stretched all to hell. I clued in after that and I bought the next pair two sizes too small so I could stretch into them. The problem is, that pair had a kind of distressed look. A small imperfection suddenly grew into an enormous hole only after a few weeks.

That's it for me and jeans from these awful stores.

Technorati Tags: ,, , , ,

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

well...

no jeans for you.

zydeco fish said...

sadly, that might be my destiny.

Anonymous said...

actually, gap jeans are the only ones that fit me properly.

i do feel a bit guilty about the whole sweatshop thing. so i boycott nike to balance it out.

Anonymous said...

I think I've been too old to shop at Old Navy for a while now...Not that people my age don't shop there...It's just that I, personally, am too old.

zydeco fish said...

Well, I suppose boycotting Nike does something.

zydeco fish said...

I might also be too old for Old Navy...

Anonymous said...

Sigh. I had no idea about the slave labour. Now I'm going to feel really guilty wearing the absolutely perfect down-filled coat that my parents gave me for Christmas that came from the Gap.

zydeco fish said...

Sorry about that. Ignorance is bliss, someone once said, and I think s/he may be right.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think that's probably the only thing I've had from the Gap in about six or seven years. At least now that I know, I can make sure I don't go back. Mind you, it's not hard, because I don't find the clothes cut in a way that suits me.

Unknown said...

I'm with anna may. I did boycott old navy (and Gap) for awhile, but their pants and jeans really are some of the few that seem to fit and stay fitted.