Friday, January 12, 2007

Two Hours Later ...

Phew, I just got out of a two hour meeting concerning contract negotiations. We were discussing the finer points of promotion and salary. And, it occurred to me - once again - that meetings ought to be limited to one hour. In fact, I prefer power meetings that are 30 minutes or less. In fact, I prefer meetings in which business is conducted in hallways, by the microwave oven, or the fridge (we don't have a water cooler). I think you can accomplish so much while your leftovers are reheating.

It also occurred to me - once again - that I made the wrong career choice. I can trace this back to High School. Instead of joining the Cross Country Team and the Track & Field Team, I should have joined the soccer team. Mr. Posh Spice will be raking in almost $1,000,000 US per week. Maybe it's not too late to change careers. I can kick a soccer ball and I am still in good shape. How hard can it be?

Technorati Tags: , ,

5 comments:

running42k said...

I also agree that meetings should be held standing up around small tables, unless you are doing meeting with perspective customers, then comfy is ok. People get too comfortable and start spouting bullshit.

I believe soccer is a little more complicated then you are letting on.

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering if anyone told him that football (I am not capable of typing the other word) is Not Actually All that Popular in North America (unless you live, say in Little Italy), and he's less likely to be treated like a god over here? Mind you, given the money, he probably doesn't care.

I still resent his arrival at Real Madrid. Mind you, if that hadn't happened, Luis Figo wouldn't have ended up with Inter Milan, and I wouldn't still be watching him play on Italian television, so I suppose I should be grateful to Mr. Posh.

Anonymous said...

the best meetings are the short ones, preferrable while running down the hallway together :-)

don't go into soccer unless you can handle all those women ogling your quads and butt. its a lot of pressure and you'll feel so dirty!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you ... long meetings suck!

Maven said...

Actually I think that in order for people to truly be prepared for meetings, there should be an agenda emailed a few days before, which will outline what will be discussed. This could give the folks attending the meeting a chance to organize their thoughts, write some notes, and make an effective use of their time. I always view meetings as an ambush in the making because of the uncertainty of what will be discussed.