Monday, January 15, 2007

So, Maybe I Complain too Much (and a comment on Iraq)

Today, many of us woke up to ice pellets, snow-covered ground, and forecasts (I actually typed forecats, which is something entirely different) of freezing rain. I even had to do a bit of shoveling for the first time this winter.

I think I am getting old, because I elected not to cycle today. Instead, I crammed myself into the subway system and got a little too close to way too many people. I was so close to some guy, I could have counted the hair follicles on his face. He missed a few spots, but I decided not to tell him. There was a woman, stuffed into a seat applying eyeliner. I posted about the public application of makeup in the past. It never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, I prefer cycling out in the fresh air. I know, Toronto's air is not that fresh, but it is better than breathing in someone else's aftershave or perfume at 8:00 A.M.

I notice that the Iraqi government bungled another execution. They managed to decapitate Hussein's half brother in the course of hanging him. I hope Bush is happy that he got his man, after an expensive and pointless war that has made the entire region worse off, to the farcical trial and botched executions.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just in the middle of writing a post on the very subject. Ice pellets. And I suppose complaining, though I hadn't thought about it until now.

I opened the door and didn't want to go anywhere, not even in the car. The bike would have been painful.

running42k said...

Yep, a messy morning.

Here, here on Iraq. I see the US is blaming the new Iraqi government for the bungling executions. Classy.

Anonymous said...

You say it like Bush truly cares about anything other than "vic-try." Not that he could define that. Not that I don't want give him a piece of my mind often. He would probably just give me that look some of my students do when I talk fast and use too many words. Wha?

Dang, I missed a debate about makeup? I spent much of my adolescence in Dallas. In the 80's. I truly believe that my mother would have let me walk out of the house buck naked as long as I had on lipstick. So many thoughts to make you laugh and pity my poor shallow semi-Texan self.

I am in awe of those who can put on eye-makeup while doing anything else. Like breathing. I'm not grossed out or offended by makeup application in public. I am horrified by my students who used to apply 17-18 coats of mascara and then use a safety pin or mechanical pencil to unclump their lashes. None of that is exaggerated, unfortunately.