Wednesday, February 28, 2007

MasterCard Sucks

I liked the fact that I could pick up the phone, order food, and give my credit card number and expiry date without having to read the digits off my credit card. I had that card so long, I even knew the security code on the back. Of course, I have also memorized my banking client card number, driver's licence number, social insurance number, library barcode, an array of PIN numbers, as well as my phone numbers, shoe size, date of birth, address, age and IQ.

And then, it all fell apart. MasterCard sent me a new card with a new number because they were sort of sure that someone might have gained access to my number, but they couldn't say exactly how or when, but that it didn't happen at MasterCard.

Hey, MasterCard, I used to work for you, right in the credit department of the very same institution that issued this card. Let me just remind you that two people were terminated when I worked there for fraud. I don't think you can be so sure of that statement.

Now, you might say "fine, just memorize the freakin' new number!" It's not that easy. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. If I commit that number to memory, a process that could take months or years, I will have to purge other numeric data from my memory.

To prove this theory, I made an effort to memorize the new number. Just as I had mastered the first 5 digits, I got another letter from MasterCard with yet another new card and a new number for the same reasons with no explanation. What's the point of memorizing a new number if I am going to receive 12 new cards per year? My brain can't deal with that.

Technorati Tags: ,

8 comments:

running42k said...

You are starting to sound like Rainman with all that memorizing.

zydeco fish said...

I haven't taken to memorized phone books, and now it's too late anyway.

Anonymous said...

hmm...is your shoe size static? Mine always changes depending on the shoe...but maybe that is a girl thing...

ShellyS said...

I'm in awe. I've managed to memorize my bank account number, logins for my work pc and database, passwords for my email at work and home, and for my atm card, and a few websites since I use pretty much the same thing for them. But anything over 7 digits not of my choosing? No way.

zydeco fish said...

My shoe size hasn't varied since I was in high school. It's easier that way.

tweetey30 said...

Wow. I have select phone numbers memorized. The ones I call all the time and my ss number his ss number. I still havent memorized the girls ss numbers. For some reason I am having a hard time with that one. LOL... No idea what our credit card number is. Hubby keeps telling me that my memory with numbers I should have become an accoutant. But all I have ended up being in my life so far is home maker or housewife if you please. LOL.. Have a good day.

Teena in Toronto said...

I can barely remember my cell phone number ... you're amazing!!

tshsmom said...

Hell, I'm having a hard time remembering my "new" blogger password!
And NO, I don't know my cell phone number. Isn't that what the little start-up screen on the phone is for? ;)