Thursday, May 24, 2007

Burning Outhouse?

I think that the political correctness movement has gone too far. Whatever happened to the Burning Schoolhouse?

I mean, this was a feature of back yard fireworks for years, the final event, the thing that all the kids waited for. They wanted to see the schoolhouse go up in flames. It capped a great evening of amateur fireworks, like nothing else.

A burning outhouse conjures up the horrible realities of burning shit (if you'll excuse the grammar).

This was taken in my neighbour's backyard last Sunday night. Canada is the only commonwealth nation to celebrate Victoria Day, and it has nothing to do with Queen Victoria. It's all about marking the day when we can go crazy with gardening, and camping, and opening cottages.

Technorati Tags: ,

12 comments:

Kimberley said...

That must be an Ontario thing, because this "burning schoolhouse" you speak of, I've no idea.

zydeco fish said...

Really. I am speechless.

running42k said...

I got the burning outhouse in my box of fireworks this year as well. Maybe we should make it look like Parliment, that would really sell.

Jay said...

You forgot beer and barbecuing.


I also have no idea what a burning schoolhouse is.

tshsmom said...

I haven't heard of the burning schoolhouse either.
Victoria Day is my daughter's anniversary. Everybody feel free to drink a beer in her honor. ;)

Kate said...

You mean that there is/was such a thing as a burning schoolhouse and it wasn't invented here in Texas? You know how much education is valued here.

Happy Victoria Day! I raise a glass to all of my neighbors to the north!

mister anchovy said...

fireworks scare my cats

tweetey30 said...

We are trying to figure out where to light fire works off this year. Now we have a house but trees in the way. We can light ground stuff off but no aireoles. I think that is how its spelled.

zydeco fish said...

Clearly, I am the only one who knows anything about the burning schoolhouse.

Super Happy Jen said...

I can't believe how many people haven't heard of the burning schoolhouse. And if they're going to change it to burning outhouse, they should make it look like an outhouse. That's got to be the most spacious outhouse I've ever seen. Could it be more like...hmmmn..a schoolhouse?

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the burning schoolhouse as a child. My dad would tell us that if we looked in we could see a little teacher and students running around. Now, as a teacher, I still love it. Unfortunately, though, I haven't been able to find it for the past 2 years. Does anyone know if it is still made, and, if so, where in Ontario it can be purchased? Thanks.

zydeco fish said...

If I ever see one, I'll be sure to post the info, after I buy one.