Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Found Money?

Fading memory irritates me more than my generally aging body. The weakening back is predictable as are the occasional aches and pains that arrived unannounced when I passed 30. I am sure that my brain will be spared the ravages of Alzheimer's, but I get concerned when I forget minor and sometimes major things.

I can usually remember how to get home on my bike. And, I park my bike in the same place everyday, so that habit will lead me there. I recall once, when returning from lunch, a feeling of panic when I noticed that my bike was gone, and then I remembered that it was in the shop for repairs. I still expect it to be stolen, 'cause that's just what happens in these parts.

I once posted on the virtues of a fading memory (a guest post on Mister Anchovy). It seems that there are other benefits that I forgot.

So, the other day, I shoved my hand into my pocket and found a $5 bill! I exclaimed to the person next to me something like, "Look, 5 bucks! I love it when that happens. It's like free money." And then, reality set in when I realized that I had worn these pants the day before and it was change from some sort of purchase.

But, this reminded me that I used to hide money in books on my bookshelf when I lived at home so that my thieving, high school drop-out brother wouldn't steal from me. The only book he ever read was the Guinness Book of World Records. I just assumed that he was looking for a record he could break, like the most uninterrupted hours of farting, the longest belch, worst breath in the western hemisphere, and the longest time spent straining on the toilet.

Once, I did find a twenty tucked in the pages of my copy of Marx's Communist Manifesto. It was just the thing I needed on a Friday night with the essay done, and a crew of people waiting for me at a bar, back in the day when a bottle of beer was under $2.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could find money more...usually my pockets only yield an assortment of movie ticket stubs, Interac receipts and unidentified phone numbers scribbled on a scrap of paper.

zydeco fish said...

usually, my pockets are full of credit card receipts :-(

tshsmom said...

My Boss is always finding $20 bills in her jacket pockets. Not me. I'm too careful with my money. It's all in my wallet...in descending order...all facing the same way. I'm just a wee bit anal retentive. ;)

Anonymous said...

When I was 12 or so, I lost $10 at the Body Shop in town... that sucked.

That's kind of the same, right? Oh wait... no it's not.

I like finding money too. It's totally free money.

Super Happy Jen said...

"And, I park my bike in the same place everyday, so that habit will lead me there."
When I went with my Mom to tour the Old Folks' home where we put my Alzeimer-ravaged Omi, they told us that their residents don't ever recognize the staff or learn their names, but they all know where their seat is at dinner, just out of habit.

tweetey30 said...

I hide money in my coat pockets all the time. Then forget its there and the following year before washing winter coats I find it and its there. Yeah for me!!!! Spending money.

running42k said...

Seeing as you can't remember stuff, when are you going to repay that $20 I loaned you back in university? It is up to $50.54 with interest at 5% compounded annually.

zydeco fish said...

R42K: Good one. I can see why you are an accountant.