Monday, May 07, 2007

Happy Monday & Stuff

I have no plan for this post. It will be truly extemporaneous. It reminds me of the impromptu speeches we had to deliver in public school. I hated speeches and was quite relieved to be free of them, until grade 10, when our aged, decaying, and cranky teacher made us all deliver speeches. There was a mini rebellion along with a petition. But, it did no good. She even rolled out spelling tests, like we were back in grade 4.

Of course, now when I think of school, I think of Facebook, that addictive crack-cocaine site. I have some advice for the women out there: don't change your names when you get married! It makes it impossible to figure out who you are, especially when you use such crappy profile pictures. How am I supposed to know that Deb X is now Deb Y?

And another thing, I am not so sure about the choices Facebook offers to describe friendships. What does "they hooked up" mean? It sounds sexual, but who can be sure? I wish it would provide a fill-in-the-blank option, like: "They had a one night stand in Poughkeepsie 6.2 years ago;" or, "they met when he ran over her cat with his new Volkswagen."

And now, I am off to do some work. Thanks for listening.

Technorati Tags: ,

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Darn it. I innocently read your blog for some enjoyment and am intrigued by your post about Facebook. hmm, Maybe I'll check it out for myself. It IS crack.
Brutal. Just what I needed, another distraction from work. I now hold you accountable for two.

Anonymous said...

I second your motion to offer another way to describe your relationship with someone on Facebook.

I've apparently hooked up with a few people. News to me.

tweetey30 said...

I have never looked at face book. I doubt half the people I went to school with would be there. And woman change there names all the time ZF.LOL.... I know I did last year when I got married. Anyway.

Jay said...

7.8

Loved the use of extemporaneous so early out of the gates, but I felt the wrap up was a little abrupt.

Super Happy Jen said...

I agree about the married name thing, so I included my maiden name in my facebook name as well. But I figured that if I did that I might as well put my middle name in, so now my name is a kilometre long!

hannah said...

lovely, happy monday. or wednesday, as it is now.

as neither a facebook nor myspace whore, i don't understand, but i would think there would be an "other" option, with a box to specify

Liz said...

A librarian friend of mine (NOT at Pleasantville U) is trying to get me to sign up for Facebook. I may have to.

zydeco fish said...

It's an inevitability.