Thursday, May 10, 2007

Ezekiel Klaar

Well, it's been a busy week. I attended a conference on Tuesday, followed by some free food, free wine, and socializing. It was cool. Last night, I went to an association dinner with awards, free food, free wine, and socializing. Next week is conference week. I am presenting at conference that runs on Monday & Tuesday. Another conference takes up the remainder of the week. There will likely be free food and free wine and socializing - at least I hope so.

You might be interested to know that many librarians are early adopters of web 2.0 technologies. Library 2.0 has been a buzzword for a while now. This might explain why so many librarians have blogs, wikis, and are Flickr and Facebook users. Lately, there has been great interest in online virtual worlds, like Second Life. Finally, I have bent to pressure from all sides and joined Second Life. Ezekiel Klaar was born on May 8, 2007. I am not happy with my avatar by any means.

So, to begin with, I visited the McMaster University Library, but the Second Life Librarian was not in. I did access some online resources in this virtual world, which was odd, to be honest. Somehow, I ended up in some sort of adult club, but, with no virtual money, it seemed pointless, so I fled to a beach, and then to some sort of dance club, where some scantily-clad and decidedly curvy female avatar walked up to me, stood silently next to me for a few seconds, and then walked away. A friend here pointed out to me that this was just like real life.

I am not sure that I need another web 2.0 distraction, so my visits will probably be few and far better, but if you are a member, feel free to friend me. I need a tutor, badly.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having spent enough time on MUSHes when the 'net was much newer than it is, and found myself wasting far too much time, I'm avoiding Second Life like the plague.

zydeco fish said...

that's probably a good idea.

ShellyS said...

After months of dithering, I joined Second Life out of curiosity. I'm Shelly Umarov there. I haven't gotten off Orientation Island as I've had a great deal of trouble learning how to maneuver my virtual self around the place. It's pretty cool, but I don't see what it offers that other services don't. Maybe if it was easier to navigate...

zydeco fish said...

well, just a little while ago, I had a reference encounter with the librarian at McMaster. It was interesting, but I am not sure how efficient the whole thing was.

Anonymous said...

"Somehow, I ended up in some sort of adult club"

right...somehow...

zydeco fish said...

;-)

Anonymous said...

I have to confess, the whole idea of Second Life is completely beyond me. First Life is difficult enough. And who has the time for all that stuff?

That said, the PAB attendees seem to have formed a Facebook group, so I may have to bite the bullet and sign up for that. Sigh.

tshsmom said...

Thanks a lot! :(
I had no idea that something like this existed. Now, I MUST check it out. If I get hooked, it's all YOUR fault!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, Second Life... WOW.

I don't really have any desire to check it out. Maybe I'm just protecting myself, and my marriage... blogging seems to take enough time, and I don't even have enough time to do that these days.

Facebook sucks... all the time out of my day.

How do you find the time to dapple in all your online forays?

zydeco fish said...

How do you find the time to dapple in all your online forays?

That's just the problem: I do not have time!

K: Who are the PABs?

tweetey30 said...

Yikes... More stuff for people to get into trouble with on here meaning the web. LOL... My husband thinks blogging is bad enough so I dont need anything else.

Liz said...

I want to offer reference in Second Life, but I haven't even signed up. Still, it's an interesting idea. I suppose though, based on comments here, I might have some trouble learning to use it.

zydeco fish said...

Liz: i have picked it up quickly, but a tutor would be an enormous time saver. There are certain things that baffle me though.