Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Internet is Destroying my Brain, etc.

Why should I bother to remember anything, if I can simply look it up? I remember how to tie my shoes, use a fork, and walk, but my brain is leeching terabytes of data. I could blame this on the aging process or maybe too much alcohol as a teenager, but I really think something else is to blame.

I am rarely away from the web for longer than a couple of hours. Everything I need is on the web (or in my library's collection of licensed databases). I can just look it up. I think I am right.

In other news, January 9 is Play God Day. I don't make this stuff up and I have no idea who does, but I am quite pleased that today is Play God Day. I just have no idea how to play God. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

In other other news, I give the first episode of jPod a B-. It suffered from the usual first episode deficiencies, by trying to do too much. Douglas Coupland's cleverness is apparent, but, for some reason, I am really tired of him, and his novels keep getting worse and worse. As for Alan Thicke, well, I am not sure what to say. He's always been too straight, or something, and now he is playing the opposite and I am unconvinced. This show will not make my must watch category, but I might tune in from time-to-time.

5 comments:

tweetey30 said...

You know this makes sense because Kora my oldest was just asking what certain animals eat and instead of looking for the Encyclapedia's I looked them up on the internet..

Kate said...

I have a brand-new set of dictionaries not three feet away and often I just look it up on the internets.

As a teacher, I have God-Playing moments. As in There Shall Be No Food... and It Is So. (And then everyone drops my class because I am so unreasonable)

running42k said...

Speaking as a witness, you drank a lot in your early twenties too.

Did you watch Sophie yesterday on CBC. It was pretty good.

zydeco fish said...

Sophie - no, the Toronto Star review scared me a bit. I might check it out in the future. I have to keep the number of shows I watch to less than 5, or I'll never get anything done.

Anonymous said...

I agree the first episode of jPod was too forced, but the series really picked up from there and has fans buzzing! A fan campaign has been launched to get the show renewed for a second season. To help out, visit http://savejpod.ca

To watch episodes for free in Canada, http://www.cbc.ca/jpod

Thanks