Friday, January 25, 2008

Peter Heater

I guess that some memories are so deeply buried that they can never be recovered. Some long-forgotten memories come to the surface at unlikely times, like the other day, when I was eating lunch (some left over chicken curry that I had made), and I suddenly recalled a strange Christmas present my father once received from my aunt (my mom's brother's wife).

The adults in my family often exchanged gag gifts, probably because they are failures in the department of gift giving. It is far easier to choose something outlandish, than to risk giving something meaningful. There were a long line of such gifts: a t-shirt depicting a naked couple in a phone booth with the caption "your three minutes are up," an apron with a beer bottle opener attached to a fake penis, a ... maybe I should stop there.

One year, my aunt gave my father a "peter heater." If you are not in the know, this is sort of a sweater for one's penis. Imagine a woolen sheath, like a knitted condom, and you have it. There was no pouch for his pouch, by the way. Naturally, several things occurred to me, like, just why is he getting this gift from his sister-in-law? How did she know what size to buy? Maybe she made it? If so, how did she know what size to make it? I mean there is length and then there is girth.

Now, the real reason the gift was given is that everyone knew that my dad slept naked all of the time. The god news is that he did not model it for us. If he had, this memory would have remained buried forever and I would not be writing this post.

P.S. I am taking a PD day today, to do some PDish things.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!

And yes, I can see where you'd connect this post with mine!

One year for Christmas my kid brother (he was 27 and I just turned 30) had given me this enormous, flesh colored athletic drink container with a dysmorphically large penis head/corona at the top, marketed as the "Dicky Sipper."

It was so PROUNOUNCED... so HUGE, that I couldn't use it as a drink container in

zydeco fish said...

Bizarre, but I have to say that "Dicky Sipper" has quite the ring to it.

Anonymous said...

I almost hate to admit to this, but there are rather a number of knitting patterns out there for what's known in the craft as a "Willy Warmer".

I've always assumed it's for some sort of gag gift, though there are some who actually debate appropriateness of one type of fibre or another, and how one determines..er..size.

Oh, and if you make it as a single tube, or as a tube with a couple of little sidebags. If you get my drift.

Just one of those useless bits of knowledge I carry around. The useful bits I forget, of course.

zydeco fish said...

Gee, now I have to figure out what soudns better: "Peter Heater" or "Willy Warmer."

tshsmom said...

They're also known as "penis cozies" and, yes, I have made them to sell to people as gag gifts. I made up my own pattern...one size fits all. ;)

zydeco fish said...

I am getting an education today. Who knew that one size could fit all?

Maia said...

What's with all these 'male anatomy' posts?? Something subconscious?

Have a great weekend.

zydeco fish said...

maia: you ask a very important question. I'll have to reflect on that and let you know...

tshsmom said...

Knitted or crocheted garments s-t-r-e-t-c-h ZF. Sorta like skin. ;)
Besides, I don't think guys would actually wear the "warmers".

zydeco fish said...

Aaaah, stretchy fabric...I guess that makes sense. I have to think that someone would wear them,. I mean, what a waste, otherwise :-)