Monday, January 28, 2008

Up the Hill Backwards plus Gorillas

No, this is not about the David Bowie song. It is from a dream in which I saw a series of odd images. I was cycling in my dream, somewhere out of town by a river decorated with hula hoops. Hoops were everywhere, half in the water, half out, seeming to float in perfect equilibrium.

Soon enough, I greeted a former colleague, the one with an obsession with a particular TV show, the one who could really pass for a lion tamer. I was not too surprised, then, to see him with dozens of hula hoops and a bike trailer filled with stuffed animals. He was a circus on a bike. I wondered if he was adding hula hoops to the water or removing them.

At this point, I realized that I was no longer in Tdot, but in the town of my birth, attempting to cycle up a steep hill, carved out years ago by glaciation, leaving a misfit stream, not the broad river of hoops. As I cycled up the hill, I noticed that there were two women on tricycles in front of me. They were cycling up the hill backwards on the sidewalk with great speed, without turning their heads to check their bearings. Both were dressed in white, kind of like togas, each with one small shriveled breast exposed (the left, if you care).

When they saw me coming, they darted across the road in tandem, not checking for cars, not worried about curbs, never slowing down. They reached the other side with no problems and kept on their way to wherever it was they were going. I decided to cycle to my dad's place, just up ahead and around the corner. Although my grandmother's house was first, I cycled past, hoping to reach my dad's, but I never got there before I woke up.
___

OK, so the gorilla part will have to wait. And, if you didn't see yesterday's post, this is hilarious. Keep on clicking next.

9 comments:

running42k said...

Very strange. What did you eat before bed?

zydeco fish said...

I can't remember what I had, honestly. I can remember that there was no alcohol involved.

Anonymous said...

Protects your manhole from unwanted access. Bwah!

All very amusing!

Maia said...

I really, really need some of what you're on...

And if you say you're "high on life", I'll be really disappointed!

zydeco fish said...

toryssa: my manhole is always protected from unwanted access.

maia: I'm high on life :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm betting you just made up the bit about the gorilla so that folks would come back to read the sequel.

cube said...

Weird dream. Your neurons were working overtime.

tweetey30 said...

Weird but interesting.. I usually sleep so deep I dont remember dreaming except for Thursday night before we left on Saturday. I dreamt that our youngest drowned in the pool. I had just turned my head slightly and poof there she went..

zydeco fish said...

k: really, there is a gorilla story...

cube: yes, neuron madness.

tweetey: that is an awful dream. I had one like that once. it was very disturbing.