Thursday, February 14, 2008

Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle

I am relieved that Yahoo has rejected Microsoft's takeover offer, but I realize that this may not be the end of it. I am often amused by the search engine battles on the web. Google gets most of the search traffic, with Microsoft, Yahoo, and others lagging behind. So, theoretically, a merger is a good way to catch up.

There must be a better way. Google's ambitious goal to index the entire web is an impossible one, and I would argue that it is a stupid goal as well. Searching Google certainly gets lots of results, but so much of it is garbage. The same is true with Yahoo and Microsoft's Live Search. What we really need is an intelligent search engine that can distinguish between searches that appear to be identical.

For example, if I am searching for Juno, I think the reply from the search engine should be:

Select what you are looking for from this list: the movie, the Japanese model, the Juno Awards, Juno Records ...

When you click one of the terms, the search engine should add some search terms and construct a proper Boolean search, like: juno and (movie or film or theatrical release or motion picture). Most people have no idea how to construct a nested Boolean search, and only Yahoo supports it on the web anyway, but there are advanced search techniques in Google than can give you the same results.

The problem with search engines is that huge numbers of results come back at you, and research has proven that most people look only at the first two pages: the rest is irrelevant. I think we ought to be looking at smaller, better engines, like the human-powered Mahalo. It's database is slowly being compiled by humans. Don't run out an Mahalo yourself, because you won't be there, but you can add yourself. You might be a little underwhelmed at search results but I think, in time, search engines like this might prevail over the giants.

Oh, and the real reason I don't want Microsoft to take over Yahoo, is because then the evil empire will own Flickr, and that would be bad news.

7 comments:

tweetey30 said...

I dont use flicker but know alot of people who do and that would be bad for you that do. Also with all this change I dont think the internet would be as good anymore.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Seems that Jason Calacanis liked your post: http://twitter.com/JasonCalacanis/statuses/712461872

Regards,

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it cuts the URL:

http://twitter.com/JasonCalacanis/
statuses/712461872

zydeco fish said...

Cool, thanks for the link.

cube said...

I'm not too worried about it because there's nothing I can do to change what these titans will do in the end.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of better search engines.. the results are filled with so much rubbish (and paid advertisements).

Chiroptera said...

Yahoo mail is really bad lately for me. Frequently it can't access my mail and I have to try again later.

Flickr works well though.