Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Bible is Dumb and so is the New Testament

"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD." -- Deuteronomy 23:1

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property." Exodus 21:20-21.

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." Ephesians 5:22-24.

Yup. there are pages and pages of dumb statements in both books. I'd go on, but I have things to do and this would take all day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those last two together pretty much give a great big OK to domestic violence. Which, you know, YAY.

running42k said...

I am currently reading a book called "A year of living biblically" by AJ Jacobs. I hear about it on the CBC. You may find it quite funny, I know I am.

zydeco fish said...

Domestic violence = bad.

I think a year of living biblically would rock, expect for the stoning, raping, and sacrifices, but the wine would be good.

tweetey30 said...

ZF the day I submit myself to Jeff and the day he doesnt take my opinion is the day I walk out and never look back. We have been together for 12 years in June and he values my opinion. But according to some churches though the wives opinion is very much not taken.

Liz said...

If all the so-called Christian people who like to ban books actually read the Bible, they would ban it.

zydeco fish said...

So true. Maybe they've never read it?