Wednesday, March 26, 2008

New Music

Some music currently in rotation on my MP3 player or stereo:

1) Feu Thérèse - I have been spinning their latest, Ça Va Cogner, and am quite enjoying the dark pop mayhem.

"The Feu Therese mandate of knitting critical and non-conformist elements right into their song structures, instead of having these 'collide' with the music as if from outside, has reached a new level of bizarre sublimation on their new record."

2) Metric - Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? I really like Dead Disco. Metric might best be described as 21st Century New Wave.

3 & 4) Hrsta - Ghosts Will Come And Kiss Our Eyes, a "collection of gently foreboding psych-folk" and L'éclat du ciel était insoutenable - "infused with endless waves of psilocybin pathos..."

5 & 6) Hangedup - Kicker in Tow and Clatter for Control are the 2nd and 3rd releases from this Montreal-based viola & drum duo. Both are sublime.

"On [Kicker in Tow], they prove themselves one of the most powerful, hypnotic and relentless duos currently mining the subterrain of instrumental avant rock. Genevieve Heistek's amplified viola screams through a propulsive blend of drones and doublestops, while Eric Craven's drumming spurts and hisses like an ornate, early-industrial steam engine."

On Clatter for Control "Gen's bi-amplified viola rig, linked to a live audio looper, creates a vortex of jigs, reels and air-raid drones, pummeled along by some of the heaviest polyrhythmic skinbeating we've ever heard."

More later, maybe.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I'll have to check those out.

My latest kick is the 1812 Overture that I've been playing for my students. I love it, but 4 times in a row? I'm ready to move on.

Maia said...

Oooh, I love Metric! You should consider Ladytron as well. If there was a pole, I'd say they're more new wave...

zydeco fish said...

OK. I'll keep that in mind.

zydeco fish said...

oh, and kate: I used to like 1812, but I am bored of it now, for some reason. I can't say why.