Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Patrick's Day

In honour of St. Patrick's Day, I present a brief list of Irish things that I like as well as an anti-list of things I don't like, right off the top of my head. I should point out that I have never been to Ireland, but a great grandmother was born there.

The Good List

1) The Pogues - some really fine music with some punk-like political outspokenness.

2) Van Morrison - "Morrison is widely considered one of the most unusual and influential vocalists in the history of rock and roll" (Wikipedia)

3) Irish (Gaeilge) - I like the sound of the language.

4) Stout - but I can no longer drink it :-(

5) The Craythur, or uisce beatha :-)

6) Leprechaun - I want one to show me the way to a pot-of-gold, or two.


The Anti-List

1) U2 - The Unforgettable Fire was OK, but I think that the Joshua Tree is the most over-rated album in the history of music. All-in-all, I find them to be a very mediocre group.

2) Riverdance - I can see the appeal of the tap dance, but not Riverdance: it's far too upright, or something. Same goes for Lord of the Dance.

3) Green - It doesn't really suit me, unless it's a mossy green.

4) Colm Meaney - The man can't act!

7 comments:

tweetey30 said...

Wouldnt we all like a pot of gold or two? I know I would. Then we could pay off our new car and our house and such And still have money left over... LOL.. Happy St. Patty's Day though...

running42k said...

amen on the stout. Ireland's greatest export.

No mention of Joyce?

zydeco fish said...

No doubt Joyce is great, but I have yet to read Ulysses. Maybe I will have read it by nest year.

Kate said...

I want to have read Ulysses. I have made a deal with the teaching gods that if I get to teach Brit Lit again next year I'll read it this summer. IF.

Happy St. Pat's day!

Liz said...

Irish coffee

running42k said...

I'm with liz. You also forgot Irish whiskey and Baileys.

zydeco fish said...

That's because I don't drink either...