Friday, March 14, 2008

Time Travel

One of the things that has always irritated me about the concept of time travel is the idea that you could go back in time and alter the future. Back to Future is based on this principle, as are a good number of Star Trek episodes, as well as the entire Terminator franchise (movies and the TV series). I have always liked the idea of time travel, but the notion that you could somehow prevent your own birth perplexes me. I mean, if that were true, then you would never have been born in the first place. Surely you see what I mean.

My favorite comment on time travel is from Stephen Hawking, who said:
"So it might seem possible, that as we advance in science and technology, we might be able to construct a wormhole, or warp space and time in some other way, so as to be able to travel into our past. If this were the case, it would raise a whole host of questions and problems. One of these is, if sometime in the future, we learn to travel in time, why hasn't someone come back from the future, to tell us how to do it."
That's a damn good question, Mr. Hawking. He also notes that we have not been "over run by tourists from the future." Imagine meeting your great great great grandchildren. That would be screwed up. So, Hawking has already confirmed my belief that we cannot travel through time.

But, a new study argues that, if time travel does become possible, there will be certain constants that cannot be changed. So, as much as I'd love to travel back in time and prevent the invention of leaf blowers and stickers on fruits and vegetables, the new model for time travel suggests that this is not possible.

Before we talk about this new idea, I feel that I should point out that this so-called new model was my idea all along, but since I am not a theoretical physicist (well, not in the conventional sense), I could not attract any attention to it and no one would publish my idea because I could not support it with proper mathematical formulae.

Anyway, on to the "new" model:
"Researchers speculate that time travel can occur within a kind of feedback loop where backwards movement is possible, but only in a way that is 'complementary' to the present.

In other words, you can pop back in time and have a look around, but you cannot do anything that will alter the present you left behind."
I still don't believe we will ever be able to travel through time, but this model makes sense to me. So, take that Star Trek, and your stupid Temporal Prime Directive.

7 comments:

tweetey30 said...

YOu know what would be neat about time travel to go back and see your mom and dad or grandparents as children. Not to change anything just to go see and talk to them. Not realizing some day they would be your parents and such. That would be neat.

Liz said...

I keep telling people that we do time travel. It's just limited to forward at, presumably, a constant speed. If there were no time travel, we would all live infinitely in the same second.

zydeco fish said...

Now that is about as philosophical as I can handle for a Friday...

Super Happy Jen said...

Blasphemy! Star Trek is never wrong. Of course altering the future through time travel is possible. Otherwise, how do you explain how someone prevented the eugenics war of 1996?

So there!

zydeco fish said...

You got me there.

tshsmom said...

Contemplating the concept of time travel has always given me a headache. I get fewer headaches if I just say it isn't possible. ;)

Anonymous said...

It's such a bizarre concept, this time travel business. I'm with Hawking on this one.