Thursday, March 20, 2008

Stop Whining

Anne Murray, who had turned her back on the Juno Awards for years and years, until she was admitted to the Juno Hall of Fame, is upset that she was left off the ballot for best album. So, now we have six nominees instead of five, leading her to state that: "The person who is not supposed to be in there could conceivably win." So what? The whole awards process stinks anyway. Imagine a system where the nominees are chosen simply based on sales? I can assure that the top five best selling albums are generally not even close to the best albums of the year.

This year, the nominees for Album of the Year include the screaming Celine Dion, the woman who has a voice like Mac Truck and a face like an Afghan Hound. I have never ever seen the appeal of her ear-wrenching noise. Worse, she has two albums in the running. If there is any justice, the award should go to Feist. She deserves it.

Maybe Anne Murray should win a Juno...in the category of best music for nursing and retirement homes. You know, music for geriatrics, the infirm, the incontinent, and the nearly dead.

7 comments:

Kate said...

I used to love Anne Murray. When I was 5.

I agree that judging an album "best" based on sales is a bad idea.

running42k said...

Ann Murray has a new album?

Anonymous said...

What's a Juno?

:-)

zydeco fish said...

Next, someone is going to ask. "Who is Anne Murray."

Liz said...

Wow, I had forgotten about her. What was that song she had? Snowbird or something? Now I have to google that.

Cooper said...

I'm not familiar with "A Juno"either.

I do know who Ann Murray is, do I get extra points?

zydeco fish said...

Liz: Yes, Snowbird is it. It's such a terrible song. FYI: Burt Reynolds is a big fan of Mrs. Murray.

Cooper: The Juno Awards are the Canadian equivalent to the Grammy's. But, I will gibe you points for knowing who Anne Murray is.