Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Free Tibet

I have never been in favour of Olympic boycotts. I feel terrible for those athletes who have trained for years for a chance to compete. The US-led boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics was really sad, and the 1984 Soviet-block boycott of the LA Olympics was dumb retaliation. There have been other boycotts as well, and I think that they had very little impact, except on the athletes.

There has been some pressure on world leaders to boycott the opening ceremonies, but I don't think that goes far enough. I would hope that all athletes boycott the ceremonies as well.

I have to say that I am really amazed that China was selected as the host nation given its occupation of Tibet. The ecology and integrity of Tibet is being completely destroyed. Of course, we can't forget China's relations with Sudan, but that is another huge topic.

* * *

I cycled to work in the pouring rain this morning. Because of some limited rain gear, I have wet feet. My rain pants kept my pants dry, but it soaked though my coat. I hate it when that happens.

5 comments:

tweetey30 said...

It went from raining to freezing rain to snow last night. But it will be gone in a few days again here. But still I know what you mean yuckie..

Kate said...

I also am and have been surprised that China was chosen for the Olympics in the first place. There are so many reasons in addition to what you stated. Other than the political and human rights abuses, I see some of the obvious practical issues. Will all of the outdoor events be held indoors or will the the athletes be provided with masks with air filters?

zydeco fish said...

Exactly. One marathon runner has decided to pass on the event because of pollution. Also, I think it is still unclear if reporters will be able to get full uncensored access to the web.

Anonymous said...

Bread and circuses.

China was given the games because they wield significant economic clout. And consider what the other options were -- Toronto, Paris (which would really make an excellent host of the games), Osaka, Istanbul -- none of which has serious economic or political interest for those awarding the games.

And the cynic in my might suggest that the Chinese paid the biggest bribes, but I'm not a huge fan of the Olympics at any rate. I think the money could be better used for a lot of other things (environmental issues, say?), and I have no idea why we insist on worshipping athletes.

However, as cranky as it all makes me, I have real problems with protesters who think using violence to achieve their ends is appropriate. Stand there and shout and wave flags if you want to, but don't jump barriers and try to attack those relaying the flame.

running42k said...

76 was boycotted by some African nations as well, with regards to apartheid.

I think in the pure essence of the Olympics, it reflects how good humanity can be. Problem is it has been corrupted with drugs, money and political grandstanding.

As for the rain gear, those booties I have a fantastic. Keep me very dry. Highly recommended. You can get them at Mountain Coop and they aren't that expensive.