Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Down with 8 Glass of Water per Day

Finally, people are beginning to recognize that it is dumb to drink 8 glasses of water per day, something that I could never do anyway. Two kidney experts argue that such a practice has no benefits and may, in fact, be harmful to some people. Boy, this sounds like a news report. The kidney dudes conclude that drinking all of this water:

does not suppress appetite
does not flush toxins from your body
does not reduce headaches
does not improve your skin
(the research article was published in the American Journal of Physiology)

In 1945, the U.S. Food and Nutrition Board advised people to imbibe 8 glasses of fluids every day. This recommendation has always puzzled me because our bodies tell us when to drink. We get thirsty and we drink. Trying to force all of that water down one's throat is unpleasant and stupid. Besides, we get fluids from the things we eat, fruit, vegetables, etc.

We don't need to port around bottles of water, or worse, those Nalgene-type polycarbonate bottles that contain Bisphenol-A (BPA), an endocrine disruptor.

* * * * *
Oh, and in other news, I have a new job. Same place - different job.
So, there's work to be done.

3 comments:

tweetey30 said...

I dont drink eight glasses of water and i seem to be as healthy as I will be at this point in my life.

running42k said...

Try drinking your water with scotch. You will gladly do your eight glasses a day.

Congrats on the new job.

Kate said...

All things in moderation. Hydration is not just about water. You need electrolytes as well. In fact, as the article stated, too much water can be harmful. Exercising outdoors in a hot and humid climate will let you know fairly quickly how much you need to replace what you've lost by sweating. Also, the imprecise, but somewhat useful measure of the color of your pee. Not too clear, not too dark. Sorry. =)

I would be interested in more information than one study. I definitely agree with a number of their points. I will say:

1. Saying 64oz. a day for everyone is ridiculous--the amount of all nutrients that people need are relative
2. I've found that if I feel thirsty, I'm already dehydrated
3. I also find it ironic that people drink water to be healthy from bottles that are unhealthy (and also wasteful--I have a reusable bottle that is not that type of plastic)
4. I don't think that water is a appetite suppressant so much as a replacement for drinks like sodas. And don't get started on schools outlawing sodas and replacing them with juice and sports drinks.

Okay, I wrote more than I meant to. Congrats on the new job.