Thursday, April 24, 2008

Helmets, Fires, Medical Emergencies, Stuff, and Dead Soldiers

I saw a woman today wearing her helmet incorrectly, which is not unusual, but she also had it on backwards.* Seriously.

When I arrived at work, there was a fire blazing in the garbage can near the entrance that I use. The security guards, who were walking leisurely to the scene, suggested busting out the marshmallows, but I was not convinced given all of the toxins in burning plastics and lord knows what else might have been in the can.

I suspect smokers, of course, because many are still pissed-off at the no-smoking law that restricts puffing near doorways.

Moments later, the 911 team rolled onto campus to deal with someone on the pavement. I have no idea how this person ended up there.

According to CNN: "There have been 4,354 coalition deaths -- 4,046 Americans, two Australians, 176 Britons, 13 Bulgarians, one Czech, seven Danes, two Dutch, two Estonians, one Fijian, one Hungarian, 33 Itaians, one Kazakh, one Korean, three Latvian, 22 Poles, three Romanians, five Salvadoran, four Slovaks, 11 Spaniards, two Thai and 18 Ukrainians -- in the war in Iraq as of April 23, 2008..."

Let's hope the McCain doesn't win, or the toll will go even higher.

Lastly, maia blogged about an interesting video, and I think you should watch it.
___
*I often see people who wear cycling helmets incorrectly. The main issue is that people push them back on their head, when they ought to be forward and level, because in most cycling mishaps, the cyclist falls forward.

5 comments:

tweetey30 said...

Helmets. That is an interesting subject since Kora was asking about hers yesterday. She needs a new one since I have no Idea where the old one went. I think the neighbor kids got a hold of it and destroyed it. She got it in Headstart for free at a field trip they took.

running42k said...

Where is the count of Iraqi lives? Do they not count? What is the exchange rate of Iraqi to American lives before we start to care?

To me it is complete bullshit that the Iraqi lives don't get mentioned. Is it because all of a sudden Bush starts approaching Hitler scale genocide levels?

Kate said...

I wear my helmet sideways just like my ball cap.

running42k, we never even started counting Iraqi dead because we still don't care about other countries, especially countries we dislike. They're the enemy. That means they're not human. Bush has the reasoning skills of a three-year-old. Hopefully the Democrats won't tear each other apart too much before the election.

Sorry, crabby tonight and not so proud of my country right now.

Liz said...

I saw that video a couple months ago when a friend sent the link. I think it started me on my sustainability kick. I no longer allow myself to throw out things at home that could be recycled. I recycled before, some stuff, but I was still frequently throwing out things that I could have recycled.

I hope I make sense. I've been up since yesterday morning and flew home all night. Bleah.

Maia said...

I have also seen people wearing helmets backwards. I never know whether to laugh or yell at them to tell them they:

a) look like an idiot
b) might hurt themselves if they take a spill
c) all of the above...