Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pissed Off

To the scurvy bastard who walked up to my house last night, opened my green bin, dumped the decaying smelly organic material all over my property, and then stole my green bin, I hope something terrible happens to you today - like you accidentally flush your keys down the toilet or a pit bull bites you in the groin.
***
The city's web site states that I have to purchase a new bin, which is exactly the reason some thief made off with mine. Offering replacement bins is clearly the thing to do. I tried calling the city, navigated the menus, and finally heard: "to speak with an agent, press 4." The next sound I hear was a busy signal!

Moments later, I tried calling the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency. After locating the proper phone number and verifying that I was calling within operating hours, I again got a busy signal. I set up a login for the My Account feature at CCRA, which is a laborious process. It took ages to enter all of the information, and when I had finally done it, I was told that I would have to wait for, like, 5 days until they mail me a security code.

Now, I realize that security is important, but I already gave them my SIN number, date of birth, line 150 from a prior return, the answers to three questions, etc.

What's wrong with government agencies?

Update: They just replied to my email message to tell me that: "The City is not responsible for any lost/stolen or missing bins. You will have to purchase a new bin. The cost is $18.00 ( including taxes)." Great.

8 comments:

tweetey30 said...

That sucks donkey. I wish you could get a hold of the dip poop who stole from you. Any kinds of bins arent cheap.

Kate said...

Hang on, they "tumped" over your bin with your stuff in it and then took the bin? Who does that?

The wars in my neighborhood are over putting your stuff in someone else's bin. As long as no one takes my bin, I don't care. Fill it up to the tippy top. Well, unless you put crap in it that you shouldn't and they don't pick up any of it.

Nice to know that government agencies are inefficient everywhere.

Super Happy Jen said...

They started this complicated multiple bins thing just in time for me to get a house, so now I actually have to pay attention to it, instead of just dumping anything and everything into the garbage bins outside my building. Knowing the garbage pickup days is going to be a bit of a chore.

Oh, and sorry about your bin. The least they could of done is stolen the garbage too!

Maia said...

Prior to our move, someone was repeatedly stealing our recycling bin. We, being good citizens, drove to the south end of town to pick up a recycling bin, and the least the thief could do, is do the same. UGH! PEOPLE SUCK!

We are starting a city based 'organic' garbage program sometime soon. Although we compost, I guess we could put the meat scraps in there, etc.

I also heard that TO is going to a bin for all garbage soon. A yearly rebate if you use a small one, but a $200 or so charge for the 4 bag number? It will be mayhem when those puppies go missing.

Deodand said...

Where the heck do you live, that a compost bin is mandatory?

Edmonton pisses me off sometimes, but they sure got our garbage policies right. Our compost is done in a giant plant outside the city - all we have to do is bag it up.

running42k said...

That blows. When you get the replacement, paint your address on it.

zydeco fish said...

R42K - oddly, my address was on it, but these people didn't care.

Deodand - a compost bin isn't required, but encouraged. Since we get garbage pick-up once every two weeks, you'd have a stinky mess hanging around unless you use your green bin weekly. It also diverts a huge amount of organic waste from landfills, which Tdot is short on.

maia - yeah, and I just realized that the new bins for garbage as well as the new bin for recycling will not fit between the houses! So, they will have to be either kept out from (and possibly stolen) or dragged through the house. yikes.

Anonymous said...

Woah. That SUCKS.

Someone stole our recycle bin once, but it was empty. And I thought that was annoying. But, not quite as annoying as your story.