Wednesday, April 16, 2008

It droppeth as the gentle fart from heaven
Upon the place beneath.

I originally titled this post God's Ass, but I thought that was a bit vulgar. Then, I considered Cosmic Flatus, Mysterium Flatulosmographicum, and Cutting the Universal Wind. My final title retains some poetic qualities, I hope.

But, anyway, this is an interesting project. NASA wants to place close to 100,000 antennas on the dark side of the moon to form what it is calling the Dark Ages Lunar Interferometer (DALI). The principal behind this is simple: the bigger the telescope, the farther back in time you can see. And, by placing it on the far side of the moon, you can eliminate interference from earth transmissions, etc.

In theory, you could see back to the "dark ages" of the universe, right after the Big Bang. In other words, you would see clouds of ionized gas drifting around. Maybe my brain is helplessly stuck at the age of 14, but I can't help but thinking that if we look far enough back, we would see a huge butt, right after it had broken some wind.

Just when I thought that I was being too juvenile, I read the second last line of the article on Space:
Probing the dark ages presents the opportunity to watch the young Universe evolve," said Joseph Lazio, NRL astronomer and head of the DALI proposal.
Probing? Really. He said that. And, I thought of the fundament...again. But, I do like the idea of the telescope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe "fundament."