Thursday, May 01, 2008

LSD (or, Confession #5)

Albert Hofmann, the Swiss dude who discovered LSD in 1938, died on April 29 at the age of 102. One of my goals in life is to live past the 100 year mark. It just makes sense to me. If this guy, Bob Hope, and George Burns can do, so can I. Of course, I'd like to live forever, but that invention is a long way off.

I could tell you lots about the studies and experiments with lysergic acid diethylamide in the quest for curing schizophrenia and other psychiatric disorders or the experiments conducted by the CIA and other intelligence agencies during the Cold War, but that you can easily find on the web. Instead, I will tell you two other stories.

The first is about Father Acid, a tall Rolling Stones fan who lived in my residence during my undergrad. He always had copious amounts of all kinds of drugs at hand, and he liked to trip on acid. Oddly, I did not take any kind of recreational drug during the first two years of my undergrad. I stayed with alcohol, a depressive, psychoactive drug that is probably more dangerous that several of the illegal drugs, but society has deemed it to be acceptable. But, back to Father Acid.

One day, he decided to leave his residence room and live in a tipi (or tepee, teepee) with two other dudes in a park by the river in winter. I wondered how he would survive without electricity to run his stereo system, but that did not seem to concern him. The funny part of the story is that the conservation authority eventually found them and pinned a note to the tipi to alert the squatters that there were living on government land and that they had to move.

Shortly thereafter, he was arrested while in possession of 1000 hits of acid and numerous other drugs, like barbiturates and amphetamines. I remember that he cut his hair prior to his trial, but I have no idea what happened to him after that.

I am running out of time, so part two will have to come tomorrow. I will leave you with a tip: don't buy LSD on the streets as much of it is laced with rat poison.

part 2

7 comments:

running42k said...

He ended up doing time in a minimum security facility. I recall him saying that instead of curing him it actually gave him more ideas on moving drugs.

zydeco fish said...

Wow, now that really highlights the problems with our prison system.

Deodand said...

I heard that it's rather hard to find LSD these days, what with all the other more intense drugs to choose from.

Kate said...

Ah, college...

My mom's really close friend in college was involved in one of the first major drug busts at their school in the late 60's and ended up living in a tent community on a big grassy part of campus. Not nearly that level of excitement 25 years later.

zydeco fish said...

deodand - yes, I have heard that too, plus, you can never be sure whet you are getting these days.

Super Happy Jen said...

Why would one lace LCD with rat poison and then sell it? Wouldn't that eliminate your customers?

zydeco fish said...

Maybe if you happen to be a rat :-) I think that the levels would be too small to really hurt you, as a dose of LSD is tiny and measured in micrograms.

How about this fact: the rat poison Warfarin is used medically as a blood-thinner.