Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Baby Name Ideas

Apparently, more than 4000 Chinese children have been named Aoyun in the last 15 years. I know, that probably doesn't sound very interesting but Aoyun means Olympic Games. How would you like to be named that? I guess it's better than being named after the Pan Am Games.

There's more. Other popular names are Defend China, Space Travel, and Civilization. The latter is the name of almost 300,000 people! You have to love a nation that will take names from just about anything.

Which reminds me: I strongly believe that everyone ought to be given a provisional name by their parents, with the option of changing it when they reach the age of 18. At that point, you could change it without question to something that you really like, something good, like Aloysius or Ezekiel.

5 comments:

Liz said...

Just so parents stop naming their children names like Jayden, Neveah (gag), Madison, and all the other stupid trendy names.

zydeco fish said...

Neveah? That's new to me. I've never liked Jayden or Brayden.

Kate said...

Ugh. Baby names.

I do agree that people should be able to change their names without question at age 18.

Super Happy Jen said...

I'm looking for a name for my second child. I'll add "civilization" to the list. Hey, it works for a girl or a boy!

zydeco fish said...

It *is* a unisex name. I hope you use it :-)