Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bin City

I am still adjusting to the HUGE recycling bin the city dropped at the house about a month ago. It's so big, it takes an entire month to fill it, and it's not even the biggest bin available! I can barely squeeze it between the houses to get it out of view. I have to lean it almost flat against the ground in two places, give it a little lift a few inches further along to avoid the outdoor faucet, and finally execute a nice counterclockwise swirl. With some coaxing, I can just squeeze her in.

I really hate the look of all of these bins all over the place, in front yards, on porches, etc. If you ask me, the City had uglified Toronto. I am all for recycling, composting, and waste diversion, but I have to think that there are better means than these enormous bins.

Soon, phase two of bin madness will be thrust upon us. Look at the size of the largest bin! It's almost as big as the model. But, I see several good uses for a bin that large:

1) use it to dispose of your couch potato husband
2) toss in your irritating and/or nosy neighbour(s)
3) you could probably fit four or five screaming children in there (depending on their ages)

In other words, the largest bin is a great body-disposal system.

In summary, I am not entirely happy with these bins, even if I can agree with the intended outcome. Now, I just have to wait and see if someone steals them.

10 comments:

tweetey30 said...

We have those here to but only for apts. The homes still have the little blue bins.

Kate said...

Assuming that the model is a bit smaller than me, our bin is probably somewhere between the two on the left. That's for garbage. Then we have open bins for recycling (metal, paper, & #1&2 plastic). There's a place in town where you can take glass and all kinds of other things.

I'm still just annoyed about them throwing the can into the culvert (ditch).

I think that the aesthetics folks will catch up pretty soon and make more attractive solutions for all of these things. I recently saw a really neat (literally) composting container. Until then, I agree.

zydeco fish said...

Well, I hope you are right about the aesthetics folks.

Deodand said...

Is the bin yours? Paint it with something nice!

And I never really understood this whole "bin" thing anyway. Everywhere I've lived, you just buy a regular trash can and use that. Doesn't that work anymore?

Kate said...

Our bin is "ours" in the sense that we have to keep it and store it and keep it in good shape. It actually belongs to the city and its size and shape is regulated because our trash is picked up by a truck with a crane on it.

So, deodand, to answer your question (about my city, at least), if you don't put it in their bin, it won't get picked up. In fact, if you fill it so full that the lid doesn't close, they won't touch it. So, ZF, not good for disposing of LARGE bodies.

Cooper said...

Are they permanent fixtures?

They are quite ugly. My trash bins are ugly but they are mine and so they go behind the complex in a shed like building until trash days when they are dragged to the curb - they're a lot smaller too. Our recylcbe bins are actually small blue boxes, only allowed out once a week.

running42k said...

May be that is the answer to affordable housing, the large bin.

Super Happy Jen said...

Don't be silly, dead bodies aren't recyclable! Didn't you study your recycling calendar and info sheet?

zydeco fish said...

deodand: the bins are really ours: we are supposed to leave them when we move. I guess they belong to the house.

zydeco fish said...

Jen: Oh, I was thinking about the garbage bins, rather than the recycling bins. I am very conscientious about separating my trash. But, now that you mention it, the body would be better off in the green bin :-)