Monday, June 09, 2008

"Lou Reed got married and didn't invite me. I mean is it because he thought I'd bring too many people? I don't get it. He could have at least called. I mean he's doing so great. Why doesn't he call me?"

'Tis true, the King of New York City got married to Laurie Anderson on April 12. It's also true that he didn't invite me. I'll award bonus points if you can identify the source of that quote without consulting with Google or any other search engine. Just off the top of your head, please.

Disco Mystic has always confused me. I think I understand Metal Machine Music well enough, but Disco Mystic is perplexing. I mean, I think it's awesome, maybe one of Reed's best compositions. Maybe it's just 'cause I am a fan of repetitive music. but, I have always wondered if it is a joke. Is it?

As a whole, The Bells is way better than Growing up in Public - the mediocre follow-up that I ignore of my CD shelves - but far worse than the Blue Mask. Oh yeah, Under the Bottle, Waves of Fear, and the title track (perhaps my fav Lou Reed song of all time) are simply awesome. Well, if you like serious electric guitar with some feedback mixed in with a few softer tunes.

Why am I discussing Lou Reed, you might ask? Well, I realized that I haven't yet picked up Hudson River Wind Meditations, which is unusual but understandable considering it's an import ($$$). And then there is the photography. Yes, Lou is a photographer. Did you know that? We are simpatico.

BTW, this is an interesting post about the Bells, here.

6 comments:

tweetey30 said...

Have to admit I have never heard of the guy. Must be a Canadian composer huh??? LOL..

zydeco fish said...

No, not Canadian. Some might argue that he is one of the most influential American songwriters. He founded the velvet Underground back in the 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Reed

Anna May Won't said...

umm, iggy pop?

for some reason, i thought lou reed was gay.

zydeco fish said...

No, not Iggy Pop.

Lou might have been gay back in the day. All of that changed when he married Sylvia in 1980. It surprised many people.

His parents put him through electro-convulsive therapy because he had "homosexual tendencies." The song Kill Your Sons refers to that episode in his life.

Anonymous said...

I had to look it up. But I think it's a bit of a trick question, no?

zydeco fish said...

Yes, it kind of is :-)