Friday, July 11, 2008

Overrated, part 2 of 10

(See: part 1)

Welcome to part two of my whimsical countdown of the most overrated stars in music. As I said in the first post, I am excluding those talentless acts that are known to stink, like Jacko the Whacko, etc. And now, number 9....

9) Billy Joel - This had to be expected, coming after Elton John at number 10. In some respects, the Piano Man is a poor man's Elton. They have so much in common, they even toured together. But, I believe that Elton is a far superior pianist and his songs are far more musical.

They share an uncanny ability to write some serious duds. In Billy's case, one only has to think of Only the Good Die Young, Big Shot, and Just the Way You Are, She's Always a Woman, the ridiculous Uptown Girl, and many more! On the plus side, Joel composed Allentown, clearly his best song, both in musical style and message. Well, that's just my opinion.

I couldn't help thinking about Billy on Tuesday, when I dropped into a record store. The dude next to me was purchasing some sort of special edition of The Stranger. Why would anyone do that? I wondered. True, there was a moment in my life when I was momentarily interested in his music, but that faded and all that remains in one piece of vinyl. I will sell if for the best offer.

The good news is that Billy retired in 1993. The bad news is that he still tours and pumps out a series of greatest hits CDs. The even worse news is his foray into "classical" music. I guess he thinks he's Paul McCartney. Joel had considerable "help" in composing the pieces on Fantasies & Delusions, so I am not sure if it even qualifies as a Billy Joel album. On the other hand, the album lives up to it's name. Others have been harsher in their criticisms. Just read the one star reviews at Amazon and you'll see what I mean.



What's the matter with the songs he's singin'
Can't you tell that they're pretty lame
After listenin' to a couple albums
Well, they all start to sound the same

So he tried to change his musical style
He tossed all his ballads in the circular file
Then he found the punk sound
Breakin' ground all around
It's still Billy Joel to me

What's the matter with the tune he's writin'
Well, you know it's gonna be a smash
It's so nice when you're a big name artist
Doesn't matter if it sounds like trash

Now everybody thinks the new wave is super
Just ask Linda Ronstadt or even Alice Cooper
It's a big hit, isn't it
Even if it's a piece of junk
It's still Billy Joel to me

Woah, it doesn't matter what the critics say about him
'Cause he doesn't worry how they feel
When you're record's sellin' millions and it's goin' triple platinum
You don't worry 'bout your next meal
'Cause money is no big deal

Maybe he should dye his hair bright pink
And stick a safety pin through his cheeks
Then he'd really fit the new wave image
But he couldn't sit down for weeks

Don't you know about the record business, honey
You gotta be trendy if you wanna make some money
Now everybody's sayin' that he sure sounds funny
But it's still Billy Joel to me

All right, Alfred
Ooooooh

I can hardly wait 'til his next album
Well, I'll bet it's gonna be the rage
Buy a ticket to his next big concert
Well, I wonder what he'll do on stage

It might be disco and it might be the blues
Or maybe even somethin' like the B-52's
Just a handclap, finger snap
Even if it's mindless pap
It's still Billy Joel to me

Everybody's sayin' that he sure sounds funny
But it's still Billy Joel to me

See: part 3

10 comments:

tweetey30 said...

Billy Joel I dont think I have heard of any of his music in a long time. It could hit me in the face and Iwouldnt know who it is.

Kate said...

OK, I agree with you here. A few of his biggest stinkers fall into the Childhood Trip to the Shore Soundtrack, but they're still not that great. I don't think he's the worst artist of all time, but he's not the greatest. Not even close.

zydeco fish said...

tweetey: well, he is retired, and i am not sure he gets any radio play these days.

kate: yeah, not the worst, but overrated :-)

Bridget Jones said...

ROFL at this post! Agree with you totally. There are some bits of The Stranger that I like (Italian Restaurant being one), but there are quite a few stinkers (Uptown Girl ugh).

Might be blasphemy to say (type) this but I feel the same way about Bruce Springsteen, Heaven's gift (gag) from New Jersey.

Liz said...

Of course, I saw Elton and Billy when they toured together.

zydeco fish said...

Liz: so I am 0 for 2 with you so far... :-(

bridget: I don't feel the same way about Bruce. he seems to have more integrity to me, although he did record a couple of lame albums.

tshsmom said...

OK, I agree on this one. The only Joel song I like is "Matter of Trust".

I agree with Bridg on Springsteen. The only album I liked was "Born in the USA"...and yes, I know that "true" Springsteen fans hate that album. ;)

jewelgurl said...

I agree with the fact that Billy Joel did lose it somewhere and I'm guessing it is around the time he met and married Christie Brinkley. His albums all through the 70's and early 80's were phenomenonal. They were good songwriting and told good stories. The stranger is one of the best albums that came out of the 70's and glass houses is just pure fun from start to finish. I think people now a days have heard so much crap through the years that they forget that lots of these artists were the original founders of certain types and sounds of music. Their music was a reflection of the time they came out.

Super Happy Jen said...

Oh come on, you're dumping on all the classics. We're all in the mood for a melody and he's got us feeling all right.

zydeco fish said...

jewelgurl: my sister had a lot of Billy Joel albums, and so I very familiar with the early years. I don't really see any difference among his albums :-(

jen: as always, you make me laugh.