Thursday, July 10, 2008

Overrated, part 1 of 10

I once wrote about what I thought was the worst song of all time. I could produce a huge list of sucky bands and singers without any trouble. A sample list would include such "artists" as Michael Jackson, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, George Michael, Culture Club, Duran Duran, Celine Dion, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, ABBA, Britney Spears, etc. That would be easy and pointless because everyone knows they are all talentless. I know you agree with me :-)

What would be better than that is a list of bands or singers that seem to get some critical acclaim but suck in reality. I came up with ten, just like Letterman.

10) Elton John - I am willing to admit that I was a fan of Reginald Kenneth Dwight when I was about 10 years old. I had some 45 RPM records and a few albums. In truth, there are a very small number of Elton John songs that I can still listen to. These include Funeral for A Friend, Levon (his finest composition), and Tiny Dancer, for example.

I even enjoyed watching him on Inside the Actor's Studio. But, the music has never done anything for me for a long long time. I am not sure when it all started to go so wrong for him, musically, but Sasson Says so Much didn't help matters. And, his reworking of Goodbye Norma Jean was simply embarrassing.

If you like him, I'd like to know why.

Read part two.

19 comments:

running42k said...

I would say that "Someone saved my life tonight" has to be up there too.

Liz said...

Why do I fear that all my favorite artists are in your remaining 9?

zydeco fish said...

running42k: Someone Saved My Life Tonight gives me vivid flashbacks to a certain time in my life.

Liz: You will just have to wait and see.

Kate said...

Liz, me too. I find that lack of talent doesn't seem to deter me when it comes to pop music.

I like Elton John because his music reminds me of going to the shore with my family when I was a kid. I couldn't tell you if he's done anything since then. Well, except the Norma Jean song which has always made me want to kill myself.

Liz said...

Kate,

I wouldn't kill myself in reaction to the Norma Jean song because then Sir Elton would create another damned version of it!

zydeco fish said...

"I find that lack of talent doesn't seem to deter me when it comes to pop music."

Kate: Wow, I love that quote.

Liz: That's a brilliant idea. Maybe we could start a business venture with Sir Elton & Bernie Taupin to personalize that song for anyone who wants it? You know, like those personalized novels.

tshsmom said...

I'm with Liz and Kate. I don't think this bodes well for me either. ;)

OK, I admit Elton hasn't recorded anything decent in the last 10 yrs. But before that the John/Taupin combo was hard to beat.

I'm old. I was there when "Your Song" came out on 45. I remember my mother saying: "He's not bad, but he won't be around after a couple of years."

zydeco fish said...

I love that quote from your mother. I promise, Rick Springfield is not on the list :-)

Bridget Jones said...

Umm I liked Someone Saved My Life Tonight and Your Song (but have always been a silly sentimental person). Did NOT like Norma Jean, just because of that line 'I would love to love you but I was just a kid'. C'mon, him and MM? Yeah right. The redraft wasn't the greatest either, but was glad that someone wrote something at the time.

tshsmom said...

I'm happy to hear that you're not gonna mess with my Rick! ;)

zydeco fish said...

...but I was tempted to add him to the list.

tshsmom said...

I was expecting to see him there. ;)

jewelgurl said...

Up until 1977 his albums are some of the best in rock.
Like Cat Stevens, his recording process was top notch.
The lyrics and music told stories which most music today lacks. There are very few albums today that you can listen to start to finish.
Some of Elton's finest work can be heard in Honky Chapeau, Tumbleweed Connection, Captain Fantastic and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Super Happy Jen said...

I too was a fan of Elton as a child, but right now I can't give you any reason why he's any good. But come on, the Culture Club? Boy George is classic. Remember when he guest-starred on the A-team? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47puweMw9Wk
He was so fab even the country-loving cowboys enjoyed the show.

zydeco fish said...

I can't believe I decided to watch that... :-(

zydeco fish said...

jewelgurl: I would have to agree that his early output was much better, but I am still left a little underwhelmed.

Anonymous said...

A sample list would include such "artists" as Michael Jackson, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, George Michael, Culture Club, Duran Duran, Celine Dion, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, ABBA, Britney Spears, etc

zydeco fish said...

Exactly, but those are the obvious ones :-)

Anonymous said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw Elton John's name was "What about Levon and Tiny Dancer" but then saw you gave them a special dispensation.