Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Smart Casual

On my way to the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Québec, I noticed that the dress code for the Cocktail Reception and Fun Night was listed as "Smart Casual". Oh, the horror, the horror. There are just too many things wrong with that. For one, the word 'smart' reminds me of the superlatives my mother would use when describing the ugly sweaters my aunt liked to give me every year at Christmas. "That's a smart sweater," she would say. I quickly learned that smart equaled ugly. These sweaters languished in my closet for years, unworn.

But, if you are ancient, then 'smart' somehow becomes a good thing and the old people in our society start using the word 'smart' in conjunction with 'outfit'. No boy or man would ever want to be seen in anything resembling an outfit. Informing a man that he is wearing an outfit is emasculating. Add the word 'smart' to 'outfit' and you might as well kill him where he stands. It means that his life is over. He has failed.

Once you are a senior, you are permitted, for some bizarre reason, to wear outfits. You know: velour tracks suits or matching polyester jacket and pants and shoes with those velcro fasteners. I guess if you have to bend over for more than a few seconds to tie your shoes, you risk death at certain ages. My dad also started to wear ill-fitting baseball hats even though he doesn't watch baseball and went his entire life without a baseball hat.

So, I hauled a black vintage suit jacket with me and donned that for the night of fun. I did not look smart, but I think I passed for casual.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I did not look smart..."

Remember - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

tweetey30 said...

I do remember those ugly sweaters you are talking about and had some in my closets as well but it was my own mother who made me wear them once in a while..

zydeco fish said...

anon: I suppose that is true...

tweetey30: I think we all have some of those, sadly.

Super Happy Jen said...

I think in this case the word "smart" is an appeal to the intelligence of the wearer. So someone might read "casual" and say: "Oh, this means I can wear that pink halter top that shoes of my belly button peircing and those comfy sweat pants that ride kind of low so you can see my thong and the tattoo on my butt." To which you would reply: "Come on, be smart, this is an event for librarians!"

zydeco fish said...

Actually, I think I would like the halter top option. That would mix things up a bit.

Kate said...

I hate dress code "definitions" like that. They leave me more confused than ever. Dress? Pants? Stockings? Why can't they just say jackets and cocktail dresses?

This is what my sis calls "snappy cazh." Snappy casual, with snappy meaning what your mom meant.

Bridget Jones said...

Maybe the seniors have the same dark closet that I have?

You would not believe what I've accidentally worn to work....