Monday, August 18, 2008

Back from Quebec with Damaged Lungs

(The bad news is that my laptop is in need of some repair, and this is hampering my web access. I hope to have this fixed soon).

While in Quebec, I almost made the decision to become a smoker. Why not? I asked myself. Everywhere I went, I was forced to inhale someone else's second-hand smoke: while walking down the street, while sitting on benches, while eating on patios, even in stores because people smoked in doorways and the smoke wafted in like a grey plague. Before I left for Quebec, I was becoming more and more irritated with smoke in Toronto, but Toronto has nothing on the cigarette madness in Quebec city. The whole place is cancerous.

My other observation is that the food was not as good as I had remembered from my previous visits. I can cook steak way better than any of the steaks I had there. Even the filet mignon, ordered from a gluten-free menu at a resto on rue du Petit-Champlain in Quartier Petit Champlain, sucked. I did have a couple of nice glasses of wine and a really great sangria, thankfully.

But, by far the most bizarre sight was a pod of dancing librarians. In my entire career in this female-dominated profession, I had never seen librarians eager to hit the dance floor. But, at this World Congress, filled with delegates from Africa, Iran, Iraq, China, Russia, all parts of Europe, Oceania, and dozens of other nations, this was happening. I have photos to prove it, and if my laptop ever recovers, I might even share some with you. Whether or not I tripped the light fantastic (or fandango) will forever remain a secret.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe how prevalent smoking appears to be in Québec compared with other provinces. I moved here from Waterloo which was one of the cities that had bans on smoking before all of Ontario went smoke-free (essentially).

As for dancing librarians, I know we have a Facebook group just for swing dancing librarians - I'm sure we'd get LOTS of people if it was just a broader dancing librarian group. Another coworker mentioned how it was actually a little scary watching the librarians dance at IFLA.

Liz said...

Come to Ohio. In Ohio, you're only allowed to smoke in your apartment under the blanket, with the lights off, at night ... or something like that.

zydeco fish said...

Jen: The floor was moving under all of those sensible shoes. I thought the place might collapse, but it held on. Maybe you should start a Facebook group for dancing librarians in general.

Liz: Sounds like a recipe for a house fire...

Liz said...

I would join a facebook group for dancing librarians. I used to be a genuine bar bitch, so when I say "dancing", I don't mean the typical sensible shoe librarian dancing.

Deodand said...

Yeah someone should've warned you about French Canadian smokers. It's the only place left in North America where people chain smoke and it isn't a big deal. How'd you like the accents?

running42k said...

I didn't realize that a group of librarians was called a pod. This blog is so educational.

zydeco fish said...

Liz: I think I would like Ohio. I am wondering what a genuine bar bitch is...

deodand: I have to say that the accents might take a bit of getting used to. Sometimes, I had no idea what was being said.

R42K: I still have no idea what a group of librarians is called. It's just a guess, but pod might work.

Liz said...

Well come on down to the heart of it all then!

genuine bar bitch! I can't believe I said that.

zydeco fish said...

Well, I would like to visit the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame.

Liz said...

Maybe you could visit Ohio and get a free meal: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iwmvhv-RIshr050bYfF7txsFSIJgD92M283O0

zydeco fish said...

That's crazy. I'm happy that they honored the coupon. Ohio is sounding better all of the time.

Bridget Jones said...

gotta see those pics!!!

Liz said...

If you ever visit the rock n roll hall of fame, you better let me know you're in the area!

zydeco fish said...

OK. Expect a call in a decade or so.