Thursday, August 07, 2008

We interrupt this vacation to bring you a special presentation of:
Spadina Spadina Station


If you have travelled on the Toronto Subway system, you will no doubt have heard the station announcements, such as:

"The next station is Spadina, Spadina station." Soon thereafter you will hear:

"Now arriving at Spadina, Spadina station." (or, occasionally "Now arrivin' at...).

I just clued in that my son (age 3 and a bit) has assumed that the names of the stations were 'Spadina Spadina Station' and 'College College Station'. We have conversations like:
Him: Is this our stop Daddy?
Me: What station is this?
Him: Osgoode Osgoode Station.
Me: No, it's not our stop yet. We are getting off at St. George.
Him: St. George St. George station?
Me: Yes, St. George St. George station.
I find this particularly hilarious. Je vais à Québec. À plus tard.

5 comments:

Kate said...

That is too funny! And completely understandable.

Have fun in Quebec.

tweetey30 said...

Hey there yes enjoy your vacation. I would laugh too. But I have never had to take a subway before. Just the City Tansit. Metro we call it here.

Maia said...

I love it!

Once I had someone stop me in the street and ask me where "Spah-din-ah" Street was. I had to ask for clarification...

zydeco fish said...

Actually, if I remember correctly, that was once the correct pronunciation, but that person probably did not know that.

running42k said...

Very good.