Friday, September 12, 2008

Happy Friday

I am tired, 'cause I hung out with some peeps at Rancho Relaxo last night. There were three acts: Luluc, Leif Vollebekk, and Picastro.

Luluc, all the way from Melbourne, is a duet that sing some very pleasing acoustic numbers. At first, I was reminded of Ian and Sylvia Tyson, but since I know virtually nothing about Ian and Sylvia Tyson, I am not sure that this comparison holds, except for the fact that Ian and Sylvia are or were (are the still alive?) a folky duet.

Leif Vollebekk was an unexpected surprise. He was billed as someone who might appeal to fans of Nick Drake, Patrick Watson, Final Fantasy, and Sigur Ros. Maybe, but I keep thinking Jeff Buckley, although the first number made me think of Bob Dylan, but that might have had something to do with the harmonica. He's funny too. I should have bought the CD. You can listen to his songs on his myspace page (god, how I hate myspace).

Picastro are described (somewhere) as sleep rock. It would be difficult to describe just exactly what that means, but you can hear it for yourself at the band's myspace page (god, how I hate myspace). I hear a bit of post-rock and some references to shoegazing, but in a more acoustic way.

So, how did I end up there last night? Well, Liz (from Picastro) went through the MLS program with the people I was with at Rancho Relaxo, and so she is within six degrees (actually two degrees). I suppose now that we sat at the same table, before and after her set, it is really one degree. For some reason, I find this whole six degrees thing fasincating. I am constantly amazed at the mutual friend thing on Facebook. Why is my cousin friends with someone who is a friend of a librarian I know?

BTW, I think I can make it to Kevin Bacon in six degrees.

2 comments:

mister anchovy said...

Yep, they're alive, but they've been apart for many years.

Bridget Jones said...

tee hee hee I think I could make it to Kevin Bacon in six seconds....