Thursday, September 04, 2008

Pet Peeve

One thing I hate about my MP3 player is the fact that when you rip a CD, it is alphabetized incorrectly. Neil Young should be under Y not N. It can't be that difficult to reverse the first and last names, can it? It's almost as bad with band names. Some of my CDs from The Smiths end up as "The Smiths" while others are rendered as "Smiths" meaning that they are in two different places. So, one either has to re-tag all of the songs, or live with the less-than-perfect results.

Of course, this is a problem all over the web. I loaded iRead (soon to be WeRead) on Facebook. It permits one to list and review what you are reading or want to read. When your books are sorted by author name, it simply fails to do it properly. Under titles, "The Engineer of Human Souls" is listed under books commencing with T. Did everyone forget what their public school librarian taught them? If the title begins with an article, you drop it when you search for the book.

I find it difficult to operate in such anarchy. The web is a chaotic mess. All new apps or tech ought to be vetted by librarians so that we can avoid things that look like a 7 year old designed them. Maybe librarians ought to run all levels of government. That way, we wouldn't have Sarah Palin trying to ban books that offend her religious views. I am not American, but I can't see why anyone would want a VP who wants to be all fascist against freedom of speech.

6 comments:

Anna May Won't said...

oy, sarah palin scares the bejeezus out of me. of course the religious right LOVES her, and what on the surface seemed like a huge blunder on mccain's part - between troopergate and her knocked-up teenage daughter - may actually be the smartest move he's made.

Kate said...

I hate that, too. How in the heck am I supposed to find things if they're sorting in such bizarre ways?

My brother posted about banning books when only a small percentage of the population reads them anyway.

zydeco fish said...

Cool. I will read that.

tweetey30 said...

Hi there. Long time no visit.. LOL.. anyway banning books.. Yikes.. I love books. Anyway nice digs.. I think it looks great. I was going to ask if this alphabet thing is the librarian talking or our dear friend ZF...?? LOL..

Bridget Jones said...

That post scared me. I know so little about this stuff.

Deodand said...

Ugh, filing items that start with "The" under "T" makes me really itchy. I know everyone from around here had to learn the right way in school time and time again. Why don't they REMEMBER?