Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Continue to Ignore the Blogospshere (until, maybe, next week)

This has been a crazy month, but part of the blame for that is my poor organizational skills. If only I could properly organize my time, I could accomplish so much more. I could study physics and molecular biochemistry in my spare time. I could read more. It would be awesome, truly awesome.

I am in a job that has essentially no supervision. That is good and bad, and I am always left to wonder what it is that other people are doing in their offices. I have no answers. It's clear with the staff, for they are on display. They have nowhere to hide, no walls, no privacy. We can eat in our offices, if we choose to, and sometimes I do. But staff, well, they have to head to the staff room where it is deathly silent. You can hear a pin drop. You can hear people chew, a sound I just do not like. I rarely have conversations in that room, because everyone will hear what you are saying. So, I try not to make any noises.

But, I observe the patterns. One guy sits in the same chair every day at lunch with his winter coat on, iPod fired up, and a book in his hands. I sense that he is trying to isolate himself by a factor of three. I have never seen him eat anything. One brave person talks to family on her cell phone, but I am sure no one can understand her mother tongue. A colleague complained but I like the sound of human interaction. I like that someone is brave enough to attack the silence.

The most fascinating guy is the one with about 7 children. His faith prevents the use of prophylactics, and so the family continues to grow. He reads his bible during lunch. You can see his lips move as his index finger traces lines of text. He has a special edition bible, bound in leather--or faux-leather--and a zipper. After lunch, he tucks the bookmark in place, zips it up, and places it in his backpack. Somehow, he looks happier, but I am not sure if it is the food or the words or both.

3 comments:

Deodand said...

I hate our lunch room too; it's exactly as you describe. I used to go there, but a bunch of women would sit in there and gossip about other workers in a really mean way. They drove me out.

Unknown said...

someone complained there was talking in the lunch room? That is crazy.

I remember my cataloguing job where our cubicles/office were deathly quiet but the staff room was a refuge from the silence - oh so that's what my voice sounds like!

I still consider the staff room a refuge from the quiet. It's too quiet here. That being said, I most often eat in my office.

A said...

I eat lunch at the front desk in my office which isn't too bad. I get to listen to NPR to combat the silence.