Friday, July 18, 2014

10cc: The Original Soundtrack (1975)


If the only song you know from this album is I'm not in Love, then you are missing out, though that is a fantastic song and I am sure that your life is better for having that song in it. This album is much more than that song, however.

I can't recall when I obtained a copy of this album on vinyl, but that hardly matters. Side one commences with Une Nuit a Paris, a bizarre mini-operatic piece about Paris, which includes a prostitute and a dead policeman. If your mind recalls Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen while listening to this song, then you are not alone. It seems that Queen may have been influenced by this track, but who knows for sure?

Sex and blackmail and other topics are covered with a mix of parody and comedy. Life is a Minestrone seems to presage Snack Attack, but more on that later. It seems to me that the band took a turn for the worse with the departure of Kevin Godley and Lol Creme.

No comments: