Friday, July 18, 2014

2001: A Space Odyssey, Original Soundtrack (1968)


"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

I think everyone knows the opening music for the fantastic film, 2001: A Space Odyssey. You know the one: that famous overture--Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30 by Strauss--with those horns and those drums. You can hear it here. I am sure everyone also knows that parts of The Blue Danube by the other Strauss. They are both epic pieces. But, my favourite piece from this soundtrack is Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, 2 Mixed Choirs and Orchestra by György Ligeti and performed by The Bavarian Radio Orchestra. My three-year-old was frightened by the music, and asked me to turn it off.

2001 is one of my favourite films. I watched it three times in one weekend when I was in high school.

I really like records from this era. They are usually really heavy and the jackets are very study, unlike later releases.

No comments: