Saturday, July 19, 2014

a-ha: Hunting High and Low (1985)


The labels synthpop, new wave, electronic, Euro-pop, and perhaps Top 40, apply to this Norwegian band, popular in the 1980s. Of course, the band is best known for the hit single, Take on Me. Somehow, I acquired a copy on vinyl of the band's first release, Hunting High and Low, containing said song.

By 1985, I think it is safe to say that music videos were still in their infancy, and a good video in many ways meant a great deal more than the song itself. The really catchy video for Take on Me probably helped to make the song more popular that it otherwise should have been. Still, the song probably qualifies as essential New Wave.

For the record, I was never a huge fan of this band, but the aforementioned track became an important song from that decade and my nostalgia for that period favorably disposes me to it. In case you have never seen the video:

The balance of the album, I think, is quite solid, for what it is. Let's not forget the other notable track from the album, The Sun Always Shines on TV.

My vinyl copy of this record is in great shape, and I wish I could remember where I got it, but I haven't a clue.

No comments: