Saturday, July 19, 2014

a-ha: Soundrel Days (1986)


Somewhat surprisingly, I have a second a-ha record. Scoundrel Days, released in 1986, does not come close to matching the success of the debut record. I have rarely listened to it, and don't have too much to say about it. Oddly, the Allmusic Guide seems to love the record:
"The opening two songs alone make for one of the best one-two opening punches around: the tense edge of the title track, featuring one of Morten Harket's soaring vocals during the chorus and a crisp, pristine punch in the music, and "The Swing of Things," a moody, elegant number with a beautiful synth/guitar arrangement (plus some fine drumming courtesy of studio pro Michael Sturgis) and utterly lovelorn lyrical sentiments that balance on the edge of being overheated without quite going over." [source]
There is no denying that the production is quite good, and the songs are not terrible. There is just little memorable for me here.  a-ha continued to release records right into the 2000s. I have never heard any of them. Pictured, above left, is my album cover, shot with my phone.

No comments: