Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Alan Parsons Project: The Best of the Alan Parsons Project (1983)


I guess I should mention that all of the jacket images were shot with my phone. Wikipedia categorizes The Alan Parson Project as art rock, progressive rock, pop rock, and soft rock. I find it inconceivable that one band could satisfy so many labels. The Allmusic guide is far more economical, referring to the band as album rock, contemporary pop/rock, prog-rock, and soft rock. Perhaps this means that the bad is difficult to pin down?

Since the band preferred to release thematic albums, it might seem odd to release a collection of individual songs divorced from the larger concept. Nevertheless, the collection seems to work. It picks out poppy songs, like I Wouldn't Want to be Like You, Games People Play, Eye in the Sky, etc. The album also contains a new song, You Don't Believe. In other words, it's a good entry point or a good album for a casual listener.

I Wouldn't Want to be Like You:

No comments: