Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Beautiful South: Welcome to the Beautiful South (1989)

Untitled
I saw The Beautiful South in concert at the Siboney Club in Toronto on the tour for Welcome to the Beautiful South in either 1989 or 1990. I cannot remember which. I recall that it was a fun, crowded, and hot show.

I will start with one complaint about this record. The lead-off track and first single should be entitled Song for Whomever, rather than Song for Whoever.  With that out of the way, I can move on. I did like the Housemartins, Paul Heaton's former band, with some reservations best left for the letter H, much later one. This album is pretty good, with catchy cynical songs, like Song for Whoever [sic].

I love you from the bottom of my pencil case
I love you in the songs I write and sing
Love you because you put me in my rightful place
And I love the PRS cheques that you bring

and:

Oh Cathy, oh Alison, oh Phillipa, oh Sue
You made me so much money,
I wrote this song for you 

But, the real tour-de-force on this record (for me anyway), is Woman in the Wall.

He was just a social drinker but social every night
He enjoyed a pint or two or three or four
She was just a silent thinker, silent every night
He'd enjoy the thought of killing her before

Well he was very rarely drunk but very rarely sober
And he didn't think the problem was his drink
But he only knew his problem when he knocked her over
And when the rotting flesh began to stink

There are many other great songs. Sadly, this was really the end for me for The Beautiful South. I had some other releases on CD, but none really enchanted me as much as this one and I lost interest.

There's a video for You Keep it all In on the Youtube, but it cannot be embedded. Oh, and I guess I should mention that there is one song I kind of hate, and that is I'll Sail this Ship Alone. I never liked that song.

No comments: