Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Jim Carroll Band: Catholic Boy (1980)

Untitled
"Back home we were listening to Catholic Boy
And I got hung up on the people that died"

- Rock Problems, The Hold Steady 

Jim Carroll was a poet, and it showed in his song writing. Sadly, he passed away in 2009.

I'm not sure how to define his music. I guess it's part punk, part new wave. His memoir, The Basketball Diaries, was made into a film that I actually saw. This album, as the title suggest, touches on Catholicism in many places, especially in the title track, Catholic Boy:

"I make angels dance and drop to their knees
When I enter a church the feet of statues bleed
I understand the fate of all my enemies
Just like Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane"

But, for me, the song that captivated me was People Who Died. It's a tour-de-force. Carroll always made me think of Lou Reed, and if you are a fan of both, you should check out this clip or Lou and Jim. Sadly, they are two more People who Died.


Here's a vid of People who Died that was released with the movie, I think.

No comments: