Thursday, January 08, 2015

Bruce Cockburn: Nothing But a Burning Light (1991)

Untitled
The only country in the world that pressed copies of this record was The Netherlands. Consequently, this is a difficult record to get a hold of, and it is certainly often not cheap. This happens to be the last album from Cockburn that was released on vinyl. Maybe his later few records will be re-released on vinyl.

It's a pretty good record, and far better that this mediocre record that followed. (Dart to the Heart was a weird record that seemed to try a more mainstream path. It failed, though there are a couple of good tracks). Dream Like Mine is a great single, and they are some really good album tracks. But, I will have to state my objection to Cry of a Tiny Babe, which is a ridiculous song that is lyrically unimpressive:

"Mary grows a child without the help of a man
Joseph get upset because he doesn't understand
Angel comes to Joseph in a powerful dream
Says "God did this and you're part of his scheme"
Joseph comes to Mary with his hat in his hand
Says "forgive me I thought you'd been with some other man"
She says "what if I had been - but I wasn't anyway and guess what
I felt the baby kick today""

The last two lines are probably the clunkiest Cockburn has ever penned. The track goes on to discuss the three wise men, Herod, etc. Just when I thought that Bruce was shedding the shackles of faith, he records that stinker of a song.

No comments: