Thursday, January 08, 2015

Bruce Cockburn: Bone on Bone (2017)

Untitled
After 50 years in the business and now at the age of 72, Cockburn released his 33rd record, Bone on Bone. Evidently, the reference to bone refers to arthritis, though it's difficult to tell because his guitar playing seems fine to me, though I gather his hands hurt. I have read that there are a few tunes in his back catalogue that he can no longer play. His voice still sounds great too.

But, let's not fail to discuss Jesus Train:

I’m on a Jesus train
I’m on a Jesus train
I’m on a Jesus train
headed for
headed for
headed for the City of God

Just when I thought that he might have finally cast off the shackles of faith, realized that there are no  imaginary beings in the sky, it comes flaring back like a bad infection. Maybe he senses his mortality and he wants to embrace Pascal's Wager which would be a fool's gambit. Oh, and then there's 40 Years in the Wilderness. Sweet fancy Moses!

No comments: