Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Bruce Cockburn: Stealing Fire (1984)


 Stealing Fire would make it into my top five Cockburn records. It contains Lovers in a Dangerous Time, which is perhaps his most well-known song. The other big track from this record is If I Had a Rocket Launcher. This is the album that probably brought him the most attention. There is not a bad song on the record.  It's a truly fabulous blend of folk, rock, and some world rhythms.

By the last album, Cockburn dumped pretty much all of the overt Christianity, and moved more fully into politics, with the usual slate of love songs. The political songs are decidedly left-wing:

You're the best of what we are -- 
Don't let them stop you now 
Nicaragua

I imagine that those lyrics didn't go over too well south of the border.

Weirdly, my copy is a promo from the US and it has a horrible gold stamp as well as a hype sticker on the front. Oh well, the vinyl is in great shape. I have no memory of when of where I bought this record.

By the way, to all of you new to records, the plural of vinyl is vinyl. I hate how I keep hearing vinyls. That is wrong.

The video for Lovers in a Dangerous Time is weak, in my humble opinion.


My favourite track from the record is Dust and Diesel.

No comments: