Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Bruce Cockburn: World of Wonders (1986)


I guess it had to happen. After putting out an album each year since 1970 (though the 1982 release was a compilation), Bruce missed 1985. That was a good run. My first copy of this record was on cassette. What a stupid medium for music. I really can't believe that digital audio tape was a thing for a while. I once had a copy of an album by Seal on DAT. I'm glad that format went nowhere.

World of Wonders contains the only Cockburn song that I dislike. Although the sentiment of People See Through You is okay, the delivery and lyrics seem weak to me. The rest of the album is very good and there are even steel drums on See How I Miss You.

I watch this woman in a tight sequined lizard dress --
Tosses her scarlet hair like a sly caress
She got midnight voice like some beckoning saint
She got something special but you she ain't
See how I miss you 


I really like what the Allmusic Guide wrote about this record:

"Still, how many artists could write a song decrying the evils of the International Monetary Fund ("Call It Democracy"), complete with expletive, and make it spirited enough to be released as a single, or pen a love song ("See How I Miss You") that contains references to "secret police" and reading a "psychopath's" magazine? Bruce Cockburn is a complex artist writing about complex times, and World of Wonders does a good job of capturing that." [source]

No comments: