Thursday, January 29, 2015

Leonard Cohen: Dear Heather (2004)


The official vinyl version of Dear Heather was released in 2012. I have heard that there were unofficial vinyl copies released in 2004, but I have never seen one. I have seen Dear Heather  coloured vinyl. Mine, alas, is a plain black pressing.  

Dear Heather is my least favourite Leonard Cohen record. I'm not sure what he was thinking, but this is a miss for me. The first track, Go No More-A-Roving, the Lord Byron poem, does nothing for me. Because Of... is OK. I appreciate the sentiment in any case.

I probably hate The Letters and Undertow. On the other hand, On that Day is great. But, the strongest track for me is Tennessee Waltz, a cover song that Cohen has performed live many times. Its inclusion on this record makes me wonder if he ran out of songs and had to dig one up from the archives. Much of the record says AOR to me. Still, it's a treat to have a new Cohen record, and I will never part with this one until I die.

No comments: